1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Master's degree in Astronomy/Astrophysics after Bachelor's in aerospace engineering

1. Nov 16, 2014 #1
    I am currently in my pre-final year of aerospace engineering at one of the top engineering institutes in India. Since my school days, I have been good at physics at math and was particularly fascinated with popular science books based on astronomy. I decided to join the general trend of studying engineering and now realize it wasn't a good decision.
    Is there any way I can get admission into a good master's program at a university abroad ? My engineering coursework includes electrodynamics, calculus(vector and a bit of tensor too ) differential equations, linear algebra, thermodynamics which are cognate to physics.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2014 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

My suggestion is to start looking for master's programmes that you are interested in to gauge what kind of prerequisites are necessary. I believe this will generally vary from university to university so there is not really one universal answer to this question. Many physics programmes are likely to require at least basic quantum mechanics and a significant chunk of mathematical methods, but this is just my hunch and the only way of telling for sure is to check out the prerequisites.

4. Nov 16, 2014 #3
    Thanks for the reply Orodruin.
    I have already started looking at the prerequisites for the master's programmes in various universities. Most of them require a bachelor's degree in physics or math. Is it possible to circumvent this requirement by showing competence in physics, by getting a good score on the Physics and the General GRE, and by doing a few more physics courses and a project in a related field ?

5. Nov 18, 2015 #4
    Following.

I'm actually thinking of getting a bachelor's in aerospace engineering at georgia tech and get a masters and eventually a PhD in astronomy/astrophysics at another university. any thoughts?

6. Nov 19, 2015 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, why slog through an engineering undergrad degree when your grad studies won't involve engineering at all?

It seems like a physics undergrad curriculum would be better preparation for your grad studies.

Are you trying to use the undergrad engineering degree as a 'safety' to provide a marketable credential for use in getting a job if you don't immediately go into your grad studies?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook