Master's Degree in physics after Bachelor in MIS

In summary, the person is asking about the prerequisites for applying to a Master's degree in Physics in the USA with a Bachelor's degree in Management Information System from a non-US institution. They are informed that they need a background in classical mechanics, statistical mechanics/thermal physics, quantum mechanics, and electromagnetism, and that they can find practice GRE exams but will need to take the actual exam in a registered testing center. It is mentioned that some schools may not require qualifying exams, but this is not guaranteed and would depend on the institution's policies. It is also suggested that the person may need an academic background in physics as proof of knowledge, but it ultimately depends on the school's admissions policies.
oneworld
Hello all,
This is my first thread in this forum, and I would like to ask some questions about Master's degree in physics.
My Bachelor degree was in Management Information System (Which I didn't achieve in USA), and I would like to apply for Master's degree in Physics in USA.
All I need to know, what are the prerequisites? And if there would be needed courses? or just tests to make sure I know enough for Master's degree?

Thank you in advance for your help. It's much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You may want to start by reading this:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=64966

The possible caveat here is that, in some schools, especially smaller ones with only a terminal Masters degree program, the qualifying exams may not be as extensive, or even required.

Zz.

You need to know enough physics to read this https://www.amazon.com/dp/047130932X/?tag=pfamazon01-20 , among other graduate physics texts. Which is to say, you pretty much need two semesters each in junior/senior level classical mechanics, statistical mechanics/thermal physics, quantum mechanics, and electromagnetism.

Last edited by a moderator:
ZapperZ said:
You may want to start by reading this:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=64966

Thank you ZapperZ so much for answering. But is there a possible way to get the GRE exam online (as I'm not in USA yet) to make sure which level required to roll into a Master's degree?

ZapperZ said:
The possible caveat here is that, in some schools, especially smaller ones with only a terminal Masters degree program, the qualifying exams may not be as extensive, or even required.

Zz.

So, I can study on my own and get into a certain level to roll into a Master's degree in some school without requiring qualifying exam?! That would be good. But is it real? And where could I find such schools?

Phyisab**** said:
You need to know enough physics to read this https://www.amazon.com/dp/047130932X/?tag=pfamazon01-20 , among other graduate physics texts. Which is to say, you pretty much need two semesters each in junior/senior level classical mechanics, statistical mechanics/thermal physics, quantum mechanics, and electromagnetism.

Do I need an academic study as a proof for knowledge? Or can I just study on my own and apply for a qualifying exam?

Last edited by a moderator:
oneworld said:
Thank you ZapperZ so much for answering. But is there a possible way to get the GRE exam online (as I'm not in USA yet) to make sure which level required to roll into a Master's degree?

Practice GRE exams can be found via Amazon (or your country's equivalent) and at test-preparation centers. The actual exam cannot be taken online; it is administered in a registered testing center.

So, I can study on my own and get into a certain level to roll into a Master's degree in some school without requiring qualifying exam?! That would be good. But is it real? And where could I find such schools?

Probably not, but it depends on that institution's admissions policies. You'd have to look around yourself.

oneworld said:
Do I need an academic study as a proof for knowledge? Or can I just study on my own and apply for a qualifying exam?

See above.

1. What is a Master's Degree in physics?

A Master's Degree in physics is an advanced degree that focuses on the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It typically involves coursework in various areas of physics, as well as research and thesis writing.

2. How is a Master's in physics different from a Bachelor's in MIS?

A Master's in physics is a specialized degree that goes into more depth and detail than a Bachelor's in MIS, which is a more general degree focused on information systems and technology. In a Master's in physics program, students will have a deeper understanding of physics principles and theories, as well as advanced mathematical and computational skills.

3. What career opportunities are available with a Master's in physics after a Bachelor's in MIS?

With a Master's in physics, individuals can pursue careers in research, academia, or industry. They may work as physicists, research scientists, data analysts, or in other related fields. The combination of a Master's in physics and a Bachelor's in MIS can also open up opportunities in fields such as data science, technology consulting, and engineering.

4. How long does it take to complete a Master's in physics after a Bachelor's in MIS?

The length of time to complete a Master's in physics after a Bachelor's in MIS can vary depending on the program and whether a student is studying full-time or part-time. Generally, it can take 1-2 years of full-time study to complete a Master's in physics program.

5. What skills can I expect to gain with a Master's in physics after a Bachelor's in MIS?

A Master's in physics program will provide students with advanced skills in critical thinking, problem-solving, data analysis, and mathematical modeling. Students will also gain practical experience in conducting research and communicating scientific findings. These skills can be highly valuable in a variety of industries and career paths.