1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Master's in Applied Physics?

1. Feb 16, 2006 #1
    I'm only in my 2nd year of undergrad, but I'm already thinking about what I'll do after it. For a while now my plan has been to go get a Ph.D. in applied physics. But I keep thinking about how long that will take...

So what about a Master's in applied physics? Is there still useful things I can do with that degree?

Right now the thought of spending 7 extra years in school after undergrad scares me... I might change my mind (again) later, but I really want to know all of my options...

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2006 #2
    Ok, so how about a Ph.D. in applied physics? I was thinking of going into the private sector and doing experimental work. That's pretty feasible, right? I don't want to get stuck behind a chalkboard doing theory all day long. I COULD also teach at a Univeristy if I had to, I'm a pretty good tutor and it's not so bad, but I'd rather just to straight research or something.

4. Feb 18, 2006 #3

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Stick with the experimental side of physics. Look at programs where the thrust is in electro-optics or device physics. You'll have the opportunity to design, fabricate and test your device and it should be a decent thesis topic.

5. Feb 18, 2006 #4
    I love designing things! Not artsy-fartsy stuff, but things that actually serve a purpose. Is there a good chance that I'll actually get to do that for a living, and not just push paper for someone else?

6. Feb 18, 2006 #5

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

With lasing in silicon, the job market should be open for any and all research into its applications. What can be done with a truly integrated chip boggles my mind for future expansion of the electronic industry.

7. Feb 18, 2006 #6
    I'll take that as a "Yes." :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?