1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Masters in astrophysics

1. Aug 27, 2010 #1

My name's Konrad (don't let the username fool you! haha). I'm currently a junior in Aeronautical Engineering (Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University) with a minor in Air Traffic Management. I was planning on just ending school with a Bachelors and going right out to work. However, I've been recently giving a lot of thought into Astrophysics. I'm considering getting a Masters in Astrophysics upon graduating and possibly pursuing a PHd in it as well if I enjoy it. I'm not interested in going for this as a source of income, this would be purely for my own pleasure and hopeful contribution to the community. Which leads me to my question, and to be honest, I haven't done much research yet, this is actually my first step. I'd like to start looking into good schools where I could go for a masters. What kind of schools should I be looking into. Also, are there any books that anyone could recommend to read regarding astrophysics, just to be sure it would be something I would genuinely be interested in before I drop 40+ grand. Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2010 #2

Graduate programs in the sciences pay you to go to grad school; it shouldn't cost you anything. Sometimes terminal masters programs will charge you, so you'd be better off just applying for a PhD somewhere that will grant you a masters en route and then deciding if you want to do a PhD after earning the masters (that way you'll be funded through the masters, and it's not uncommon for people to leave the program with a masters, you won't owe them anything).

However, you background in physics may not be strong enough for you to enter a graduate program in physics/astrophysics. Which physics classes have you taken?
  4. Aug 27, 2010 #3
    I've done Physics with Calculus for Engineers 1-3. I'm also currently working on the basic engineering courses(Statics, Dynamics, Fluids etc).
  5. Aug 27, 2010 #4
    Have you taken Electromagnetism, Quantum Physics or Statistical Mechanics? Those would be the major pre-requisites for Astrophysics, I suggest you take at least one introduction to Astrophysics course.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook