Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Masters in astrophysics

1. Aug 27, 2010 #1
    Hello,

My name's Konrad (don't let the username fool you! haha). I'm currently a junior in Aeronautical Engineering (Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University) with a minor in Air Traffic Management. I was planning on just ending school with a Bachelors and going right out to work. However, I've been recently giving a lot of thought into Astrophysics. I'm considering getting a Masters in Astrophysics upon graduating and possibly pursuing a PHd in it as well if I enjoy it. I'm not interested in going for this as a source of income, this would be purely for my own pleasure and hopeful contribution to the community. Which leads me to my question, and to be honest, I haven't done much research yet, this is actually my first step. I'd like to start looking into good schools where I could go for a masters. What kind of schools should I be looking into. Also, are there any books that anyone could recommend to read regarding astrophysics, just to be sure it would be something I would genuinely be interested in before I drop 40+ grand. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2010 #2

eri

Graduate programs in the sciences pay you to go to grad school; it shouldn't cost you anything. Sometimes terminal masters programs will charge you, so you'd be better off just applying for a PhD somewhere that will grant you a masters en route and then deciding if you want to do a PhD after earning the masters (that way you'll be funded through the masters, and it's not uncommon for people to leave the program with a masters, you won't owe them anything).

However, you background in physics may not be strong enough for you to enter a graduate program in physics/astrophysics. Which physics classes have you taken?

4. Aug 27, 2010 #3
    I've done Physics with Calculus for Engineers 1-3. I'm also currently working on the basic engineering courses(Statics, Dynamics, Fluids etc).

5. Aug 27, 2010 #4
    Have you taken Electromagnetism, Quantum Physics or Statistical Mechanics? Those would be the major pre-requisites for Astrophysics, I suggest you take at least one introduction to Astrophysics course.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook