1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Masters in Civil Engineering

1. Dec 25, 2009 #1
    Hello,

I'm a 3rd year civil engineering major/computer sciences and communication minor. With the economy at the state it is now, is it worth pursuing a masters or should I try to look for a job after college?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2009 #2
    I am not really sure (since I'm also a 3rd year engineering student), and I'm curious about this as well. I did take a look into some interesting statistics though.

Predictions from Moody's Economy.com seems to imply that unemployment will not return to its pre-recession level until around 2014:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32694985/ns/business-stocks_and_economy

It could be off though, and it doesn't elaborate on specific sectors of the job market at all.

4. Dec 29, 2009 #3

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

A Master in Civil Engineering is useful, especially if you want to change area. I'll say go for it. It should be 1 to 1 year and half to finish.

5. Dec 29, 2009 #4
    Does any one know they changed the prerequistites for taking the P.E.? I've heard rumors of them requiring a masters degree (or 30 graduate credit hours) in order to qualify to take it, but I've never heard a definitive answer. If that were the case it may influence your decision to go for a masters.

6. Dec 29, 2009 #5
    I heard that in california after 2011 you'll need a masters to work for the states. I haven't heard any new changes to the P.E., also I'm planning to take the EIT exam this coming spring so I'll see how that goes then decide...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook