What Should a Math Major Do Before Applying for a Master's Program?

In summary, the individual is an undergrad math major with a minor in applied stats. They are considering graduate school and have decided to pursue a Master's in Mathematics at the University of Michigan. However, due to not having taken the Math Subject GRE, they are unable to apply for the Fall 2014 semester and will have 1.5 years of no school in between. They are concerned about their chances of being accepted and are seeking advice on how to improve their chances. They have a cumulative GPA of 3.56 and have taken upper level math courses, but do not have research experience. They also have a fear that they may not be qualified for graduate mathematics. They have reached out to the University of Michigan and have been told
SMA_01
Hi,

I am an undergrad math major (minor in applied stats) set to graduate next month. I have been considering graduate school for a long time, and I know I want to pursue at least a Master's in the near future.

For a while, I wanted to pursue a Master's in Applied Statistics and aim for a corporate career in analysis. However, this past summer, I worked as an intern at a large company and came to the realization that the corporate setting was not for me.
I now know that I want to further my education in Mathematics, and it's a goal of mine to attend the University of Michigan's Master's program for Mathematics. However, it is not feasible for me to apply for U of M (for Fall 2014) as I have yet to take my Math Subject GRE, and the next test date is April of next year- which is too late.

My goal, then, is to apply for the Fall 2015 semester, but this will leave me with 1.5 years of no school in between. I guess my main question is what should I do in the meantime to better my chances of being accepted?
I have taken the following upper level math courses:
Abstract Algebra
Combinatorics
Numerical Analysis
Real Analysis 1
Stochastic Processes
Complex Variables
Linear Algebra
Mathematical Modeling

and my current cumulative GPA is 3.56.

I know that I'm not up there on the GPA scale and it doesn't help that I don't have any research experience, and I'm afraid this will greatly hinder my chances of being admitted to U of M's Master's program.
Can anyone give me advice on what to do from here? How can I better my chances of getting in?
I'm not the best math student, and I can't deny that there exists a fear at the back of my mind telling me that I am not cut out for this. Is there anyway to know if you're qualified for graduate mathematics?

I apologize for the lengthy post.

Thanks in advance..

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you asked them whether there is some other way to qualify since you missed the GRE? Seems like a pretty trivial (though traditional) qualification that could be replaced by something more meaningful.

contact the dept. chair and see if you should still apply despite missing the math gre. Master's programs without funding should have a lot more leeway.

No, UM will not waive the subject test requirement, they don't need too. But take it next time. They do not support MS students so they are pretty flexible in admission so I wouldn't worry about your chances of getting in. If you were applying to the PhD program I would suggest you not bother. There are plenty of MS programs that don't require the subject test that you could apply to now. Why are you focused on UM? Where do you live? Where is your UG degree from?

Also, have you taken topology class? That is very important. Also, having a course about smooth manifolds is a plus, but not a must-have. Make sure to take topology class of any sort, whether it is general, algebraic, or a course on manifolds.

1. What job opportunities are available with a Master's in Math?

With a Master's in Math, you can pursue various career paths in fields such as data analysis, finance, statistics, operations research, and education. Some job titles that are commonly associated with a Master's in Math include data scientist, actuary, financial analyst, operations research analyst, and math professor.

2. Is a Master's in Math necessary for a career in mathematics?

It depends on the specific career you are interested in. A Master's in Math is typically required for positions in academia, research, or advanced roles in industry. However, there are some entry-level math-related jobs that only require a bachelor's degree.

3. Can I specialize in a specific branch of math with a Master's degree?

Yes, many Master's in Math programs offer specializations or concentrations in areas such as applied math, pure math, statistics, data science, or operations research. You can also choose to focus your coursework and research on a specific branch of math within these broader categories.

4. What skills will I gain from a Master's in Math program?

A Master's in Math program will equip you with advanced knowledge and skills in areas such as calculus, algebra, geometry, statistics, and mathematical modeling. You will also develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills that are highly valued in a wide range of industries.

5. Can I pursue a Master's in Math if I have a bachelor's degree in a different field?

Yes, many Master's in Math programs accept students with a bachelor's degree in a related field such as physics, engineering, or computer science. However, you may be required to take some prerequisite courses to ensure that you have a strong foundation in math before starting the program.