1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Master's in Math what to do?

Tags:
  1. Nov 23, 2013 #1
    Hi,

I am an undergrad math major (minor in applied stats) set to graduate next month. I have been considering graduate school for a long time, and I know I want to pursue at least a Master's in the near future.

For a while, I wanted to pursue a Master's in Applied Statistics and aim for a corporate career in analysis. However, this past summer, I worked as an intern at a large company and came to the realization that the corporate setting was not for me.
    I now know that I want to further my education in Mathematics, and it's a goal of mine to attend the University of Michigan's Master's program for Mathematics. However, it is not feasible for me to apply for U of M (for Fall 2014) as I have yet to take my Math Subject GRE, and the next test date is April of next year- which is too late.

My goal, then, is to apply for the Fall 2015 semester, but this will leave me with 1.5 years of no school in between. I guess my main question is what should I do in the meantime to better my chances of being accepted?
    I have taken the following upper level math courses:
    Abstract Algebra
    Combinatorics
    Numerical Analysis
    Real Analysis 1
    Stochastic Processes
    Complex Variables
    Linear Algebra
    Mathematical Modeling

and my current cumulative GPA is 3.56.

I know that I'm not up there on the GPA scale and it doesn't help that I don't have any research experience, and I'm afraid this will greatly hinder my chances of being admitted to U of M's Master's program.
    Can anyone give me advice on what to do from here? How can I better my chances of getting in?
    I'm not the best math student, and I can't deny that there exists a fear at the back of my mind telling me that I am not cut out for this. Is there anyway to know if you're qualified for graduate mathematics?

I apologize for the lengthy post.

Thanks in advance..

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2013 #2

IGU

Have you asked them whether there is some other way to qualify since you missed the GRE? Seems like a pretty trivial (though traditional) qualification that could be replaced by something more meaningful.

4. Nov 23, 2013 #3

Physics_UG

Gold Member

contact the dept. chair and see if you should still apply despite missing the math gre. Master's programs without funding should have a lot more leeway.

5. Nov 23, 2013 #4
    No, UM will not waive the subject test requirement, they don't need too. But take it next time. They do not support MS students so they are pretty flexible in admission so I wouldn't worry about your chances of getting in. If you were applying to the PhD program I would suggest you not bother. There are plenty of MS programs that don't require the subject test that you could apply to now. Why are you focused on UM? Where do you live? Where is your UG degree from?

6. Nov 29, 2013 #5
    Also, have you taken topology class? That is very important. Also, having a course about smooth manifolds is a plus, but not a must-have. Make sure to take topology class of any sort, whether it is general, algebraic, or a course on manifolds.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook