Masters in Mathematics: Seeking Suggestions & Resources

In summary, the individual is considering a master's degree in mathematics with a focus on a topic related to physics. The three topics they are currently considering are Dynamical Systems (specifically Optimization, Fractals, or Ergodic Theory), Topology (specifically Knot Theory), and Algorithms (specifically Folding Math, or the intersection of math and origami). They are seeking input and resources from those in the field or interested in the field.
titasB
Hi! I'm considering a maters degree in mathematics as the title suggests. Right now I have to decide a specific topic and I've narrowed it down a bit but I'd like some input from people in the field (or getting into the field). I am inclined to research something applied in physics. Here's what I've got so far:

1) Dynamical Systems: Optimization, Fractals or Ergodic Theory
2) Topology: Knot Theory
3) Algorithms: Folding math

I'm open to suggestions and any resources available on the topic will be appreciated. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
By folding math you mean something like Origami?

Here's a video on Origami, there's several sections where math and origami intersect in the discussion:

Check out 39:20 on Merrimack College math and 42:20 on Prof Eric Demaine, an Origami theorist's work.

1. What are the job opportunities available for someone with a Masters in Mathematics?

There are a wide range of job opportunities available for someone with a Masters in Mathematics. Some common career paths include data analyst, actuary, financial analyst, statistician, and operations research analyst. Additionally, many graduates go on to pursue careers in academia, teaching at the college or university level.

2. What skills will I gain from a Masters in Mathematics program?

A Masters in Mathematics program will provide you with advanced knowledge in areas such as algebra, calculus, geometry, and statistics. You will also gain critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to analyze and interpret data. Additionally, you will develop strong quantitative and analytical skills that are highly valued in many industries.

3. Are there any suggested resources for studying for a Masters in Mathematics?

There are many resources available for studying for a Masters in Mathematics. Some popular options include textbooks, online courses, and study guides. Additionally, many universities offer tutoring services and study groups for their graduate students. It can also be helpful to connect with other students in your program to form study groups and share resources.

4. What are some important considerations when choosing a Masters in Mathematics program?

When choosing a Masters in Mathematics program, it is important to consider factors such as the program's curriculum, faculty, research opportunities, and career placement rates. You should also consider the location and cost of the program, as well as any specific areas of focus or specializations offered.

5. Can I pursue a Masters in Mathematics if my undergraduate degree is in a different field?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a Masters in Mathematics even if your undergraduate degree is in a different field. However, you may be required to complete prerequisite courses in mathematics before enrolling in the graduate program. Some universities also offer bridge programs or accelerated courses for students with non-mathematics backgrounds to prepare them for a Masters in Mathematics program.