1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Masters in Physics instead of engineering if I can start sooner?

1. Mar 16, 2014 #1

e15

I like using computations/modeling/simulation for many kinds of physical problems, whether it be for molecular dynamics simulations, CFD, DFT to determine the electronic structure and properties of materials, electromagnetics, optics, etc. I'm not interested in things like circuits, antennas, etc. However, I want to work in industry not academia

I am in the middle of a Physics Phd program now. I took a year off for a leave of absence to work as a programmer, but found out that although I like it, I don't have a passion for it. Although I no longer want the PhD, I can return and get my Masters. I want to work in industry in almost any area that resembles computational physics (that is, using software to solve physical problems).

To obtain the Masters in physics, I have to work on a thesis for at least 2 semesters. I really just want to get the degree and get out asap. If I do the MS in EE or MatSci, I don't have to do a thesis. However, I will get funding in the Physics program and can enter in Fall 2014 (and maybe even start on the thesis this summer). For EE or MatSci, I can't start until Fall 2015 and won't get funding.

Should I re-enter the Physics program anyways? If I should enter the engineering program instead, what could I possibly do until I'm admitted, given that Physics BS applicants have alot of difficulty getting engineering jobs?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted