Master's in EE or Physics for Solid State Devices?

In summary, the speaker is an EE student considering a master's degree in either EE or physics, with a focus on solid state devices. They are unsure which degree would be more beneficial and are seeking guidance. They also mention the competitiveness of the job market and suggest looking for programs that specialize in their chosen field and have ties to industry or national/military labs.
wesley7777
So I am currently a EE student. I really want to get my masters degree in either EE or physics. I want to do work is solid state devices. Here at my college i could do work either through the EE or do it through the physics department because they have a strong solid state program. My question is would it be better to get the Master degree in Electrical engineering with a focus of SS or do it though the physics department? I am just not sure that the Master degree in physics would be a useful as the EE master degree. What is your thoughts on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
i am in a similar situation, so let us hope someone can guide us . Our world is currently so competitive that almost anyone has a Master degree, sad but true

You may want to look for certain programs that focus on your chosen specialty. I had a BS in Physics, but received an MS in Engineering through a program that was offered jointly through physics and engineering (as an "Electro-Optics" program... where I worked on solid state lasers). Applied physics programs might be an option. For employability, perhaps try to find a program that works with a national or military lab or has close ties to local industry.

Thanks

My biggest fear would be a Masters in Physics would not be as useful as a master in EE even though both would be studying Solid State.

1. What is the difference between a Master's in Electrical Engineering and Physics for Solid State Devices?

The main difference between these two programs is their focus and approach. A Master's in Electrical Engineering (EE) will have a more practical and applied approach, with a focus on designing and developing electronic devices and systems. On the other hand, a Master's in Physics for Solid State Devices will have a more theoretical and scientific approach, with a focus on understanding the fundamental principles and phenomena behind electronic materials and devices.

2. What career opportunities are available for graduates with a Master's in EE or Physics for Solid State Devices?

Graduates from both programs can pursue careers in a variety of industries, including semiconductor manufacturing, microelectronics, telecommunications, renewable energy, and more. They can work as engineers, researchers, consultants, or in academia.

3. What courses can I expect to take in a Master's in EE or Physics for Solid State Devices?

Both programs will have core courses in solid state physics, semiconductor materials, and electronic device design. However, a Master's in EE will also include courses in circuit analysis, digital systems, and signal processing, while a Master's in Physics will have more advanced courses in quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and optics.

4. Is a Master's in EE or Physics for Solid State Devices a good choice for someone interested in nanotechnology?

Yes, both programs can be a good choice for someone interested in nanotechnology. The study of solid state devices and materials is closely related to the field of nanotechnology, as nanoscale structures are often used in electronic devices. Students can also choose to specialize in nanotechnology within their program or pursue a Ph.D. in this field after completing their Master's.

5. What skills and knowledge will I gain from a Master's in EE or Physics for Solid State Devices?

Graduates from both programs will have a strong understanding of electronic materials, devices, and systems. They will also have skills in data analysis, problem-solving, and critical thinking. A Master's in EE will provide more practical skills in circuit design and implementation, while a Master's in Physics will provide a deeper understanding of the theoretical principles behind electronic devices.