1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Master's in Physics

1. Apr 17, 2009 #1
    So I am currently a EE student. I really want to get my masters degree in either EE or physics. I want to do work is solid state devices. Here at my college i could do work either through the EE or do it through the physics department because they have a strong solid state program. My question is would it be better to get the Master degree in Electrical engineering with a focus of SS or do it though the physics department? I am just not sure that the Master degree in physics would be a useful as the EE master degree. What is your thoughts on this.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2009 #2
    i am in a similar situation, so let us hope someone can guide us . Our world is currently so competitive that almost anyone has a Master degree, sad but true

4. Apr 18, 2009 #3
    You may want to look for certain programs that focus on your chosen specialty. I had a BS in Physics, but received an MS in Engineering through a program that was offered jointly through physics and engineering (as an "Electro-Optics" program... where I worked on solid state lasers). Applied physics programs might be an option. For employability, perhaps try to find a program that works with a national or military lab or has close ties to local industry.

5. Apr 19, 2009 #4
    Thanks

My biggest fear would be a Masters in Physics would not be as useful as a master in EE even though both would be studying Solid State.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook