Mastering Physics w/ No Coursework - Can I Finish in 1yr?

It may also be challenging to find a research group in your desired areas without prior coursework. Overall, it may be best to consult with potential advisors and discuss your options for completing a Master's degree in a timely manner. In summary, completing a Master's degree in a timely manner while focusing on a specific research area may require prior coursework and finding the right advisor.
1a2
I'm currently in a physics graduate program and intend to pursue a Master's degree since I no longer want a phd. Honestly, I just want to finish the degree asap so I can work in industry, I guess in programming or data analysis. So I hope to work on a thesis that can be done in a year, as opposed to having to spend 2-3 years just on the thesis. I'm interested in CM, astronomy, and maybe plasma and am almost finished with my coursework requirements

However, I have not taken any astronomy/plasma/particle/AMO classes, even at the undergrad level. Is this a big problem and would professors who do research in these areas be unwilling to include me in their research group because of this? If I did a research in one of these areas, is it reasonable to expect that I won't have to spend 2-3 years to finish the thesis? Or is it dependent on the advisor, not research area?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it will be difficult to complete a thesis in a year on a topic that you haven't studied.

1. Can I really complete the Mastering Physics program in just one year?

Yes, it is possible to complete the Mastering Physics program in one year. However, this will require a significant amount of dedication and hard work. It is important to carefully plan out your schedule and prioritize your coursework to ensure you can complete it within the given timeframe.

2. Do I need a strong background in physics to enroll in this program?

While having a strong background in physics can be beneficial, it is not a requirement for enrolling in the Mastering Physics program. The program is designed to teach you the necessary concepts and skills from the ground up, so as long as you are willing to put in the effort, you can succeed even without prior knowledge.

3. Are there any prerequisites for enrolling in this program?

Yes, there are a few prerequisites for enrolling in the Mastering Physics program. These include a high school diploma or equivalent, proficiency in basic mathematics, and access to a computer with internet connection. Some universities may also have additional requirements, so it is important to check with the specific institution before enrolling.

4. What kind of coursework can I expect in this program?

The Mastering Physics program is designed to cover a wide range of topics in the field of physics. Some of the coursework you can expect includes mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, and modern physics. You will also have the opportunity to work on hands-on experiments and simulations to enhance your understanding of these concepts.

5. Can I transfer credits from this program to another university?

This will depend on the policies of the specific university you are transferring to. Some universities may accept credits from the Mastering Physics program, while others may not. It is best to check with the university beforehand and provide them with a detailed syllabus of the program to determine if credits can be transferred.