1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Master's in Physics

1. Aug 22, 2014 #1

1a2

I'm currently in a physics graduate program and intend to pursue a Master's degree since I no longer want a phd. Honestly, I just want to finish the degree asap so I can work in industry, I guess in programming or data analysis. So I hope to work on a thesis that can be done in a year, as opposed to having to spend 2-3 years just on the thesis. I'm interested in CM, astronomy, and maybe plasma and am almost finished with my coursework requirements

However, I have not taken any astronomy/plasma/particle/AMO classes, even at the undergrad level. Is this a big problem and would professors who do research in these areas be unwilling to include me in their research group because of this? If I did a research in one of these areas, is it reasonable to expect that I won't have to spend 2-3 years to finish the thesis? Or is it dependent on the advisor, not research area?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2014 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I think it will be difficult to complete a thesis in a year on a topic that you haven't studied.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook