1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Masters of Mathematics SDSU vs Cal Poly (SLO)

1. Aug 15, 2013 #1
    Hey everybody, I am trying to decide whether I should go to either SDSU or Cal Poly (SLO) for my
    masters in mathematics. The conflict I am having is that SDSU offers a wide selection of graduate
    courses, but has a small faculty which negatively impacts the availability of those courses. For example they have to alternate between offering graduate real analysis and complex analysis each year since it appears only one professor can teach them. Other courses, like topology, are simply no longer offered or just show up randomly.

Cal poly on the other hand has many faculty, but doesn't offer much in graduate courses. They have two quarters in topology, discrete math, applied analysis, and a single quarter in Real Analysis and Galois theory.

My goal is to go on to a phd program in mathematics and I am not sure which choice would be the most beneficial. I know that I want to write a masters thesis and so I think having a larger faculty will help with that. Either way, I appreciate any help you guys can offer.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted