1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Masters then

1. Mar 12, 2010 #1
    I am going to start my MS in physics next year as I finish my BS, because I am enrolled in my schools BS/MS program. I was wondering about getting into Phd programs after finishing my masters. Would I be pretty much relegated to staying at the school I already received my masters at? Would top tier or second tier schools still accept me? Also what about taking time to work? I was think I might want to work in industry for a year or two after my masters. Would I still be able to get in into some good schools?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2010 #2
    You're not restricted to the school you get your masters at to get your PhD just like you aren't restricted to the school you get your bachelor's at to get a masters. As for top tier schools, if you have the grades and research experience necessary you can get into plenty of respectable PhD programs. If taking a year off to work is something that you'd like to do I don't see why not. I know of someone who went back to school to get her PhD in education after teaching for 20 years. I suppose it's really up to you, but by no means is there some sort of magic window where if you don't go now you'll never get a PhD (though it might be easier to do it sooner rather than later for a number of reasons, but by no means is it impossible after X years). It really depends on what you want to do with that PhD. Generally if you want to work in academia you need a PhD sooner rather than later. If you want to work in industry, depending on what you want to do, a MS might be just fine.

4. Mar 13, 2010 #3
    I feel like I want my Phd for personal reasons more than I want a career with it. I love physics but I feel I would rather see what money making opportunities are out there for me so I can decide. But, I also don't want to stray too far from science and math. I will definitely pursue one regardless of what happens down the road. It's just down the road hasn't defined itself for me yet. I hear so much criticism on this forum about how when you get a Phd in physics you are unlikely to get to follow what you really want to do in the field and that you should just get marketable skills so that you can work in physics but not necessarily on what you want. I feel I would rather chase other ambitions and then when hopefully I will have enough money I can settle down and think about physics. I guess you could say I want to earn my freedom so I don't have to worry about such things. But, thats probably what most people want so it won't be easily attained.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook