Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matching clothes

1. Sep 22, 2006 #1
    Hi all...i am having trouble getting my clothes to match. I don't have a girlfriend, so no one to help really. Is there a way of knowing what colors match and what don't? As in, a scientific rule I can apply?

Also, an online color matcher or overview of common coordinating and contrasting colors would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2006 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you need to apply a scientific rule to match your clothes when you get dressed, I highly recommend buying a lot of black and khaki pants (um...different pants, not ones with both colors in them...black pants OR khaki pants...based on your question, I thought I should clarify that). Now, the only rule you need to worry about after that is don't wear black shirts with black pants or khaki shirts with khaki pants. Oh, and DO wear black socks with black pants and tan socks with khaki pants. Now you're safely color-coordinated. :biggrin:

4. Sep 22, 2006 #3

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Dressing Casual 101.

5. Sep 22, 2006 #4
    No Black shirts with black pants? What is wrong with that?

6. Sep 22, 2006 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You look like a mobster...and rather monochrome. :wink:

7. Sep 22, 2006 #6

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Pretty much.

I wear all kinds of colors though. I rarely wear black or white as t-shirts.

My colors are basically blue, grey, yellow, dark green, red, dark blue, etc...

I normally wear jeans too, but they are generally pretty distinct. Different shades of blue and style, so that it doesn't look like I'm wearing the same pants everyday.

8. Sep 22, 2006 #7
    I really like the stuff at:

http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse/division.do?cid=5343

Lots of nice shades of browns and grays. I would say, stay away from bright colors. I have one too many shirts with color, and it limits what kind of shoes and pants you can wear with them.

But these days, I really dont give a crap what I wear or look like anymore. I just wear something comfortable and go out. I've turned into a bum.

Clothes are expensive, I'd spend my money on model airplanes and tools instead.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2006
  9. Sep 22, 2006 #8
    Over the summer I was friends with a gay couple. Anyway, they told me a few things that are almost common sense, but you usually dont think about them

They basically said to wear the same color shirt as belt and shoes. Also, socks should be the same color as pants. Shirts and pants should almost never be the same color (it looks absolutely horrible).

As for a relation of pant color to shirt color... erm, whatever looks good? Black pants go with any color shirt (except for black shirts, of course). Gray pants generally go well with any color except for gray, red, yellow, or any combination of those. So gray pants with a dark green shirt looks good.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2006
  10. Sep 22, 2006 #9
  11. Sep 22, 2006 #10

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Or a Torontonian.

12. Sep 22, 2006 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Match your shirt to your belt and shoes?! :eek: :yuck: So, if you wear a bright blue shirt, they thought you should get a matching belt and shoes? Ugh! It just proves that it's an unfounded stereotype that just because someone is gay they must have a good sense of style.

13. Sep 22, 2006 #12
    Moonbear, it's more of a, dark shirt = dark shoes, light shirt = light shoes. Not exactly same color..... :/

14. Sep 22, 2006 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, okay, that sounds more reasonable. You had me worried there. I thought someone might have been pulling your leg and you were walking around like something out of the 70s! :rofl:

15. Sep 23, 2006 #14

Evo

Staff: Mentor

You're forgetting the "artsy" types that wear all black as a "statement". They think they are very cool.

Just NEVER wear white socks unless it's with sneakers and gym shorts.

16. Sep 23, 2006 #15
    What's the problem with this?

17. Sep 23, 2006 #16

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I guess if you wear white pants, it's ok. :smile:

18. Sep 23, 2006 #17
    I wear white socks with both blue jeans and black jeans. To me this looks OK. However, zoobies have no idea what they're doing when it comes to human clothing, so I have to rely on people like you who understand these non-self evident aesthetics to explain your objections.

I read, for instance, that one should never wear a belt of a size such that you have to cinch it on the first or last hole. You should always find a belt that fits so you can use an intermediate hole. Apparently this is because the sight of too much, or not enough, belt sticking out bothers women's sense of aesthetics.

It wouldn't occur to me to worry about such a thing, but apparently all these little things add up because when I see a well-dressed woman it undeniably works, and looks great.

19. Sep 23, 2006 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Perhaps they don't have jeans in Evo's neck of the woods. :biggrin: White socks are fine with jeans. Basically, if you're wearing sneakers with it, you can wear white socks (actually, I don't think you should wear any other kind with sneakers, unless you really like people to notice your socks).

Quite frankly, it's not your belt we're staring at. :wink: I think that's more an issue of practicality of buying belts that have room to adjust up or down a notch or two if you gain or lose weight. But, if you start having to punch new holes in the belt, then it's time to get a new one.

20. Sep 23, 2006 #19
    This bothers me. A cow died to make that belt. Why shouldn't I be allowed to extend it's usefullness as long as possible?

See, that's why I have trouble dressing myself well.

21. Sep 23, 2006 #20

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Other tidbits:

Plaid pants are not cool, regardless of what some folks in New Jersey and some golfers think.

Lime green pants with white shoes are no longer popular since the 1950's.

Tower Records filed for bankruptcy, so there are no longer work places that have a minimum tatoo and piercing requirement for their employees.

Only Michael Jackson, version 2, could wear white socks with black pants (and a single glove).

Skinny jeans are only popular about one season every eight years. Bellbottoms only once per big bang cycle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?