What Is the Optimal Selling Price for a Paint Mixture with 17.0% Pigment?

In summary, the conversation discusses the pricing of paint mixtures containing different levels of pigment. A mixture with 25.0% pigment and water sells for $18.00/kg, while a mixture with 12.0% pigment sells for $10.00/kg. The question is raised about how much a blend with 17.0% pigment should be sold for to yield a 10% profit. The conversation also mentions the potential missing information about production costs and profit margins for the other mixtures. The final response suggests using an interactive math program to solve for the selling price of the 17.0% pigment blend.
jimithing
A paint mixture containing 25.0% pigment and the balance water sells for $18.00/kg, and a mixture containing 12.0% pigment sells for $10.00/kg. If a paint retailer produces a blend containing 17.0% pigment, for how much ($/kg) should it be sold to yield a 10% profit?

Am I wrong, or are they lacking information (i.e. cost of production, etc.)
this is driving me nuts... :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say yes you are missing some information. How much profit is made on the 25% and 12% mixtures comes to mind and as you said production costs... You can make some assumptions like the 25% and 12% mixtures are sold at 10% profit or the like.

Well, good luck.

i assumed that the 25% and 12% mixtures were sold at cost, so i used
.25x + .75y = 18
and
.12x + .88y = 10

solved for x and y, then substituted into .17x + .83y = z
found z, multiplied by 1.1

hopefully that's what they're looking for

"Interactive math program"?

What is material balance question?

Material balance question is a common problem-solving technique used in science and engineering to determine the quantity of a substance present in a system. It involves analyzing the inputs and outputs of a system to calculate the balance of the substance.

Why is material balance question important?

Material balance question is important because it helps scientists and engineers to understand and control various processes involving the transfer of substances. It can also be used to identify sources of errors and to optimize processes for efficiency.

What are the key components of material balance question?

The key components of material balance question are the inputs, outputs, and accumulation of the substance in the system. Inputs can include sources of the substance such as feed streams, while outputs can include sinks such as waste streams. Accumulation refers to the amount of the substance that is stored or produced within the system.

What are some common applications of material balance question?

Material balance question is commonly used in various fields such as chemistry, environmental science, and chemical engineering. It can be applied to analyze processes in industries such as food production, oil and gas, and wastewater treatment. It is also used in environmental studies to track the movement of pollutants in a system.

What are the limitations of material balance question?

Material balance question relies on the assumption that the system is closed, meaning that there is no external source or sink of the substance. This may not always be the case in real-world scenarios, which can lead to inaccurate results. Additionally, material balance question does not account for changes in the composition of the substance, which may affect its behavior in the system.