Compare Costs of ERW Mild Steel, DOM Mild Steel, Chromoly Steel & Titanium

In summary, the person is looking for costs for various types of steel. They found two subscription-based sites, but were not able to login to check the prices. They also tried contacting companies, but some didn't answer. They finally found a site that had prices, but they were not interested in the question about costs.
OutCell
Hi,

I have been looking and searching for a place to find the costs for
1) Electric Resistance Welded (ERW) Mild Steel: AISI 1010 Steel
2) Drawn Over Mandrel (DOM) Mild Steel: AISI 1026 Steel
3) Chrome-Molybdenum (Chromoly) Steel: AISI 4130 Steel
4) Titanium: 38-644 UNS R58640 Titanium Alloy; other names- AMS 4957 and 4958, MIL-T-9046 and 9047, MIL-F-83142

I found 2 sites but they were subscription based so i couldn't login to check.
http://www.steelbb.com/steelprices/
http://www.meps.co.uk/world-price.htm

I also ringed a couple of companies but some how they always think i am trying to steel (lol) their info and don't give me an answer.
This is for my final year project, i would really really appreciate any links for sites with costs to figure this out..

Thanks a million

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you looking for specific shapes? That will determine a lot about the answer.
Most large suppliers do RFQs for each and every order and are not going to want to waste their time when you don't have an account.
Try
www.metalexpress.net
It's unlikely they have everything you want, but you might get close.

There are local suppliers all over the country that can give you quotes for exactly what you need. You just have to locate some in your local area. I talk to suppliers, on average, every other day getting quotes of this kind for materials I need.

I use Metal Express all the time. If they don't carry it, they'll know where to get it.

TVP45 said:
Are you looking for specific shapes? That will determine a lot about the answer.
Most large suppliers do RFQs for each and every order and are not going to want to waste their time when you don't have an account.
Try
www.metalexpress.net
It's unlikely they have everything you want, but you might get close.

Appreciate you time and help :)
Well shapes are mostly tube like.
Yeah it seems they were not interested in my questions about costs :(

FredGarvin said:
There are local suppliers all over the country that can give you quotes for exactly what you need. You just have to locate some in your local area. I talk to suppliers, on average, every other day getting quotes of this kind for materials I need.

I use Metal Express all the time. If they don't carry it, they'll know where to get it.

I tried suppliers but they couldn't help. It wasn't only me who tried, so did the guy in charge of my project who works in a casting company (Should know suppliers!).

OutCell said:
I tried suppliers but they couldn't help. It wasn't only me who tried, so did the guy in charge of my project who works in a casting company (Should know suppliers!).

No. Listen to Fred. I got a quote off Metal Express not twenty minutes ago. I did not sign in. It's online.

1. What is the difference in cost between ERW Mild Steel, DOM Mild Steel, Chromoly Steel, and Titanium?

The cost of these different types of steel can vary greatly depending on the specific grade, size, and quantity being purchased. In general, ERW Mild Steel is the least expensive option, followed by DOM Mild Steel and Chromoly Steel, with Titanium being the most expensive.

2. Why is Titanium more expensive than the other types of steel?

Titanium is a rare and valuable metal that is more difficult to mine and refine compared to other types of steel. It also has unique properties that make it highly desirable for certain applications, such as its high strength-to-weight ratio and corrosion resistance.

3. Are there any differences in durability between these types of steel?

Yes, there are differences in durability between these types of steel. ERW Mild Steel is the least durable and can be more prone to corrosion, while DOM Mild Steel and Chromoly Steel have better strength and durability. Titanium is the most durable and resistant to corrosion.

4. In what applications would each type of steel be best suited for?

ERW Mild Steel is commonly used for general construction, automotive parts, and pipes. DOM Mild Steel is often used for high-stress applications such as roll cages and suspension components. Chromoly Steel is ideal for racing and off-road vehicles due to its strength and light weight. Titanium is commonly used in aerospace, medical, and high-performance sports equipment due to its high strength and light weight.

5. Is there a significant cost difference between different grades of the same type of steel?

Yes, there can be a significant cost difference between different grades of the same type of steel. For example, a higher grade of DOM Mild Steel will be more expensive than a lower grade. It is important to consider the specific needs and requirements for your project when choosing a grade of steel, as the cost can vary accordingly.