1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Material Derivative

1. May 29, 2010 #1
    A fluid moves so that its velocity is [tex] \vec {u} \equiv (2xt,-yt,-zt) [/tex], written in rectangular Cartesian coordinates. Show that the surface F(x,y,z,t) = [tex] x^2exp (-2t^2)+(y^2+2z^2)exp(t^2)=constant [/tex] moves with the fluid (so that it always contains the same fluid particles; that is, DF/Dt=0)

2. Relevant equations
    I got this from http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Marine..._Wave_Theory#Kinematic_Free_Surface_Condition

[tex] \frac{DF(x,y,z,t)}{Dt}=w. [/tex] If the surface is defined by z=A(x,y,t), then [tex] w = \frac {\partial A}{\partial t} + u \frac {\partial A}{\partial x}+v \frac{\partial A}{\partial y} [/tex] but I'm confused. If A refers to the surface, my surface has z's in it. Also what does the F stand for in the wiki equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2010 #2
    I believe [itex]F[/itex] is also the surface. If you look at one of the prior sections, it says,

I would also assume that if your surface has a component of [itex]z[/itex] in it, you cannot use that form of the derivative and must use the total derivative.

4. May 29, 2010 #3
    Thanks very much

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook