Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Material for sealing

1. Mar 15, 2015 #1
    Hello,
    I would need help. Need help choosing the material for sealing: o-ring, shaft seal. They will use the equipment that will be installed on board a seagoing ship.
    The conditions are:
    - Resistant to seawater
    - Withstand temperatures of -32 ° to + 60 ° or -25 ° to + 60 °
    - And chemical resistant in gear, i grease, oil,
    Bendzin, ....

For each of your advice thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For what sort of equipment do you need this seal material?

4. Mar 15, 2015 #3
    It's the gearbox that will be 24 hours (thus still) installed on board naval ships.

5. Mar 15, 2015 #4

Quantum Defect

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Pierre,

Parker-Hannifin makes a wide variety of o-rings from different polymer materials. You can look at the properties of the various polymeric materials they use on their website:

http://parker.com/portal/site/PARKE...1127&vgnextcat=O-RING+ELASTOMERS&Wtky=O-RINGS

6. Mar 15, 2015 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Most of the reputable marine gear manufacturers already provide seals for their products.

I'm curious as to why you are doing something which should have already been done by the manufacturer.

7. Mar 15, 2015 #6
    This is not a marine gearbox. This gearbox is placed on board the ship (is not below deck).

8. Mar 15, 2015 #7

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Navies are usually pretty careful about substituting non-marine equipment for items designed for use aboard ship.

I don't know what this exercise is all about, but I get the sense that there is a lot more to this story than you have shared...

9. Mar 15, 2015 #8

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Thread closed temporarily for Moderation. @pierre.sabiy -- send me a personal message with more information about this system, and information about what Navy contract you are working under.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook