1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Material point and curve wedge

1. Jul 1, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I think that the image is clear.
    There isn't friction, not the material point with wedge, not the wedge with the floor.

At time t=0 the material point start to move, I need to find the final speed of the two objects at time [itex]t\rightarrow\infty[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

I have used conservation of energy and momentum.

3. The attempt at a solution

So I have two equation:
    [itex]\frac{1}{2}m{v_m}^2+\frac{1}{2}M{v_M}^2 = mgR[/itex]

[itex]m{v_m}+M{v_M}=0[/itex]

And the solution is [itex]{v_m}=\sqrt{\frac{mgR}{\frac{1}{2}m+\frac{1}{2}\frac{m^2}{M}}}[/itex]

Am I wrong?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2014 #2

tms

It can be simplified, but it looks okay. What about the velocity of the other object?

4. Jul 1, 2014 #3
    Well, if [itex]V_m[/itex] is right is very simple to find [itex]V_M[/itex], so I haven't written it.

5. Jul 2, 2014 #4
    I have also a similar problem, you can see the image.

In this the mass m, start with an initial speed [itex]v_0[/itex], you have to find [itex]v_0[/itex] so that the material point has maximum height R.

I think that is right to use the two equations:

[itex]\frac{1}{2}m{v_m}^2+\frac{1}{2}M{v_M}^2+mgR=\frac{1}{2}m{v_0}^2[/itex] energy

[itex]m{v_m}+M{v_M}=mv_0[/itex] momentum

for the point of maximum height, and then you have [itex]{v_m}={v_M}[/itex] , because the two bodies are in contact.

Attached Files:

6. Jul 2, 2014 #5

tms

Next time, you should put a new problem in a new thread.

That appears correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted