Material required for shaft.

In summary: I meant that FoS should take care of all those things.Not necessarily. The OP hasn't mentioned anything about how the shaft is supported, i.e. the locations/spacing of the bearing surfaces. That is going to be the biggest factor in the real design in that the rotordynamics will dictate whether the bending moment argument is valid or not.oops!:redface: forgot that part altogether about BM2100kNm & shaft length of over 2m, neglecting Bending Moment would be stupid.And so is neglecting friction and aero drag in dynamics problems, but when you're a student you have to start somewhere. Basically, I am
shams alam
I want to find out suitable material with it physical properties, like allowible shear stress, which will be suitable for the shaft with following given data.
R.P.M = 40 rpm
Transmitting torque = 2100 kNm
Length of the shaft = 2740 mm
Smooth drive.
Neglecting the bending movement of the shaft.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Selecting the material requires knowledge of the stresses, and no one can know those stresses without doing the analysis on the particular shaft geometry. You need all the loads (not just torque) in addition to all the geometry.

shams alam said:
I want to find out suitable material with it physical properties, like allowible shear stress, which will be suitable for the shaft with following given data.
R.P.M = 40 rpm
Transmitting torque = 2100 kNm
Length of the shaft = 2740 mm
Smooth drive.
Neglecting the bending movement of the shaft.

2100kNm & shaft length of over 2m, neglecting Bending Moment would be stupid.

Start finding all the stresses, eg, torsional stress & bending stress, calculate the maximum stress induced, assume an appropriate factor of safety depending upon the application, get the minimum strength required using FoS * Stress induced, select a material.

ank_gl said:

Start finding all the stresses, eg, torsional stress & bending stress, calculate the maximum stress induced, assume an appropriate factor of safety depending upon the application, get the minimum strength required using FoS * Stress induced, select a material.
That's pretty good ank_gl, and it's not incorrect. But don't forget that a shaft is typically subject to fatigue, and it's typically the fatigue calculation that governs the final design.

ank_gl said:
Not necessarily. The OP hasn't mentioned anything about how the shaft is supported, i.e. the locations/spacing of the bearing surfaces. That is going to be the biggest factor in the real design in that the rotordynamics will dictate whether the bending moment argument is valid or not.

That's pretty good ank_gl, and it's not incorrect. But don't forget that a shaft is typically subject to fatigue, and it's typically the fatigue calculation that governs the final design.

yes right, but I meant that FoS should take care of all those things.

Not necessarily. The OP hasn't mentioned anything about how the shaft is supported, i.e. the locations/spacing of the bearing surfaces. That is going to be the biggest factor in the real design in that the rotordynamics will dictate whether the bending moment argument is valid or not.

oops!:redface: forgot that part altogether about BM

ank_gl said:

and so is neglecting friction and aero drag in dynamics problems, but when you're a student you have to start somewhere. basically, I am assuming the OP is a student, since the question has that school-ness ring to it

1. What materials are commonly used for shafts?

The most commonly used materials for shafts are steel, aluminum, and titanium. Other materials such as carbon fiber, brass, and bronze may also be used for specific applications.

2. What factors should be considered when selecting a material for a shaft?

When selecting a material for a shaft, factors such as the required strength, stiffness, weight, corrosion resistance, and cost should be taken into consideration. The intended application and environment should also be considered.

3. How is the material for a shaft determined?

The material for a shaft is typically determined through a combination of engineering analysis and testing. Factors such as load, stress, and operating conditions are evaluated to determine the most suitable material for the specific application.

4. What are the advantages of using different materials for shafts?

The advantages of using different materials for shafts include the ability to tailor the material to the specific application, such as using a lightweight material for a high-speed application or a corrosion-resistant material for a harsh environment. Different materials also have different mechanical properties, allowing for optimal performance in different situations.

5. Can a single material be used for all types of shafts?

No, a single material cannot be used for all types of shafts. The material must be selected based on the specific requirements and conditions of the application. For example, a shaft for a high-speed application may require a different material than a shaft for a heavy load application.