Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Material Science exam question

1. Jun 13, 2005 #1
    hi all,

an intersting question in our exam today. we were asked to identify a material given these requiremets "that could have been extracted from product design specifications"

"thermally non-conducting, strong at temperatures in excess of 600K, and optically transparent."

any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2005 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I bet the Pope would've gotten that one right. :wink:

4. Jun 13, 2005 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Optically transparent requirement kind of rules out metals.

What materials are optically transparent?

Then which ones are strong at 600 K (327°C), while being thermally non-conducting?

5. Jun 14, 2005 #4

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

.... makes you want to "look out" to the window ... if not mistaking with values of conductivity ... and don't kind of know how to comprehend "strong" here :blushing: ... nice product specs :biggrin: .

6. Jun 14, 2005 #5
    yeah, the way i saw it, glass is quite thermally conductive. also it is certainly not strong, and it softens readily with the application of heat (although i wasn't sure if 300 C is anywhere close to the TG)

also diamond is way too expwnsive for any application that does not require extreme strength (like a cutting tool) even if it couldbe made to fit the geometry of the problem.

what else is transparent?

7. Jun 14, 2005 #6

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, the strength part kind of leaves it open for glasses .... even if thinking 'relatively' ... conductivity of some borosilicate glasses for one is under & around 1 W/mK ... probably easiest to figure out optically transparent materials first ... polymers are out .... can we find anything from electronic materials, displays & their coatings or so ?? .... lucky don't have to take your exams :biggrin: .

8. Jun 14, 2005 #7

Astronuc

What would constitute strong (YS = 10 ksi / 70 MPa, or > 30 ksi / 210 MPa).

One candidate for the material might be Pyroceram, but that depends on quantifying strength.

9. Jun 15, 2005 #8
    yeah, i was lying in bed thinking about this one last night. glass is pretty (thermally) non-conductive come to think of it. Also it is quite strong when not supplied in thin sheets (or after tempering), and 300 C is not that hot, really.

perhaps it is glass! :blushing:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2005
  10. Jun 19, 2005 #9

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was initially thinking of bulletproof glass, but I'm not sure the polycarbonate film can handle much heat.

But then, if glass is good enough for rocket nose cones, perhaps that's enough for it to qualify as "strong".

11. Jun 19, 2005 #10

Astronuc

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?