Material Science exam question

In summary, during an exam, the group was asked to identify a material that could have been extracted from product design specifications. The material needed to be thermally non-conducting, strong at temperatures above 600K, and optically transparent. The group discussed different possibilities such as glass, diamond, and Pyroceram. They also considered sapphire, a form of Al2O3, as it met the specified requirements.
Chris Danger
hi all,

an intersting question in our exam today. we were asked to identify a material given these requiremets "that could have been extracted from product design specifications"

"thermally non-conducting, strong at temperatures in excess of 600K, and optically transparent."

any ideas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I bet the Pope would've gotten that one right. :wink:

Optically transparent requirement kind of rules out metals.

What materials are optically transparent?

Then which ones are strong at 600 K (327°C), while being thermally non-conducting?

... makes you want to "look out" to the window ... if not mistaking with values of conductivity ... and don't kind of know how to comprehend "strong" here :blushing: ... nice product specs :biggrin: .

yeah, the way i saw it, glass is quite thermally conductive. also it is certainly not strong, and it softens readily with the application of heat (although i wasn't sure if 300 C is anywhere close to the TG)

also diamond is way too expwnsive for any application that does not require extreme strength (like a cutting tool) even if it couldbe made to fit the geometry of the problem.

what else is transparent?

Yeah, the strength part kind of leaves it open for glasses ... even if thinking 'relatively' ... conductivity of some borosilicate glasses for one is under & around 1 W/mK ... probably easiest to figure out optically transparent materials first ... polymers are out ... can we find anything from electronic materials, displays & their coatings or so ?? ... lucky don't have to take your exams :biggrin: .

What would constitute strong (YS = 10 ksi / 70 MPa, or > 30 ksi / 210 MPa).

One candidate for the material might be Pyroceram, but that depends on quantifying strength.

yeah, i was lying in bed thinking about this one last night. glass is pretty (thermally) non-conductive come to think of it. Also it is quite strong when not supplied in thin sheets (or after tempering), and 300 C is not that hot, really.

perhaps it is glass! :blushing:

Last edited:
I was initially thinking of bulletproof glass, but I'm not sure the polycarbonate film can handle much heat.

But then, if glass is good enough for rocket nose cones, perhaps that's enough for it to qualify as "strong".

The other material that comes to mind is "sapphire", a form of Al2O3.

See - http://www.crystalsystems.com/sapphys.html

Thermal and mechanical properties -http://www.crystalsystems.com/proptable.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is material science?

Material science is the study of the properties and structure of materials, and how these materials can be manipulated and used to create new products or improve existing ones.

2. What topics are typically covered in a material science exam?

A material science exam typically covers topics such as crystal structures, mechanical properties, phase transformations, material processing techniques, and material selection for specific applications.

3. What are some common techniques used in material science?

Some common techniques used in material science include microscopy, spectroscopy, thermal analysis, and mechanical testing. These techniques help scientists to analyze and understand the properties and behavior of different materials.

4. How is material science related to other scientific fields?

Material science is a multidisciplinary field that combines principles from physics, chemistry, and engineering. It also has applications in various industries such as aerospace, automotive, and healthcare.

5. How can I prepare for a material science exam?

To prepare for a material science exam, it is important to review lecture notes, textbook material, and practice problems. It can also be helpful to attend review sessions and study groups, and to create study guides or flashcards. It is also important to get enough rest and stay well-nourished before the exam.