What are the unit vectors of slip for FCC and BCC materials?

In summary, the three definitions of toughness mentioned in the question are: 1) resilience, 2) area under the stress-strain curve until the yield strength, and 3) the plain strain fracture toughness (K1c value). The conditions that can cause a material to fail below its yield stress are fatigue cracking or just plain crack propagation.
foobag
Hey guys I have a few questions to ask:

1.) Why are materials whose yield stresses are highly strain-rate dependent more susceptible to brittle fractures than those materials whose yield stresses do not exhibit marked strain-rate dependence?

2.) How would you define 'toughness' in the case of elastic deformation; plastic deformation; and fast fracture?

3.) Under what conditions can materials that generally exhibit a yeilding stress and final fracture stress can still fail below the yeild stress.

I appreciate the help in this matter since I am not too familiar with material science engineering.

Engineering news on Phys.org
foobag said:
1) Why are materials whose yield stresses are highly strain-rate dependent more susceptible to brittle fractures than those materials whose yield stresses do not exhibit marked strain-rate dependence?
- Unlike the next two questions, this one is actually more difficult for me to answer because although the very fact itself is obvious, I can think of several explanations, but none of them seem to really explain it as well as I would like. So I'll leave this question for someone else or maybe you'll or I'll eventually figure it out.

foobag said:
2) How would you define 'toughness' in the case of elastic deformation; plastic deformation; and fast fracture?
- Toughness in general is defined as a material's ability to absorb energy until fracture. Now since you need three definitions, I'll give you what I believe to be the answer:
1) For elastic deformation, toughness must be defined as resilience. That is to say it must be the ability of a material to absorb energy and to release it upon unloading. In a graphical sense, it can be defined as the area under the stress-strain curve until the yield strength.
2) For plastic deformation, toughness must be defined as the definition I first gave (the ability to absorb energy until fracture). In a graphical sense, it can be defined as the area under the entire stress-strain curve.
3) For fast fracture, I would define toughness as the plain strain fracture toughness (the K1c value), or just fracture toughness in general. The higher a material's K1c, the less likely it is to exhibit fast fracture. Fracture toughness would thus define a material's ability to resist fast fracture.

foobag said:
3) Under what conditions can materials that generally exhibit a yeilding stress and final fracture stress can still fail below the yield stress.
- There are quite a few ways this can happen, but the one that stands out most is fatigue cracking or just plain crack propagation.
1) Fatigue cracking will occur when the material experiences a number of stress cycles (the stresses can be less than the yield stress) that impose cleaving, sliding, or tearing of stress concentrations (which can be external features or internal pre-existing cracks/voids). In the case of external features (such as sharp corners), the stress cycles will eventually nucleate a crack at the feature which will then propagate.
2) For crack propagation, once the material's fracture toughness is exceeded, fast fracture will occur. This applies to all cracks and voids in general, but also in the case of the nucleated fatigue crack.

I have gone through a paper where the authors have given the unit vector of slip of a FCC material which has slip system as (1-1 1)[1-1 2], the unit vector of slip is given as (sqrt(-1/3),sqrt(-2/3),0)

now I have to find out the similar thing for BCC system (110)[111], but am unable to find that out...please can anyone help me understand how do i get these unit vector of slip.

1. What is Material Science?

Material Science is a multidisciplinary field that combines principles from physics, chemistry, and engineering to study the properties, structure, and processing of materials. It involves understanding how different materials can be manipulated and improved for various applications.

2. What are the different types of materials studied in Material Science?

Material Science covers a wide range of materials, including metals, ceramics, polymers, and composites. These materials have unique properties and characteristics that make them suitable for different purposes and applications.

3. What is the importance of Material Science?

Material Science plays a crucial role in the development and advancement of technology. By understanding the properties and behavior of different materials, scientists and engineers can create new materials with improved functionality and performance. It also helps in finding sustainable and eco-friendly materials for various industries.

4. How is Material Science used in real-world applications?

Material Science has a wide range of applications in various industries, including aerospace, automotive, healthcare, electronics, and construction. For example, the development of new lightweight and durable materials has revolutionized the aerospace industry, while the use of biocompatible materials has led to advancements in medical implants and devices.

5. What are some current research areas in Material Science?

Some current research areas in Material Science include nanotechnology, biomaterials, and renewable energy materials. Scientists are also exploring the potential of smart materials, which can change their properties in response to external stimuli. Additionally, there is ongoing research in sustainable materials and recycling processes to reduce the environmental impact of material production and consumption.