1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Material science-Specification of composition

1. Sep 20, 2005 #1
    Im given this problem:
    Ge forms a substitutional solid solution with Si. find the weight% of Ge, that must be added to Si to yield an alloy that contains 2.43x10^21 Ge atoms per cubic centimetr. The densities of pure Ge and Si are 5.32 and 2.33 g/cm^3, respectively.

then I have a formula that says C1=(m1/m1+m2)*100% where C1 is the concentration in weight % of material 1 and m1 is the mass of material 1, and m2 is the mass of material 2. I use this formula, and i get 72% for Ge, but the correct answer is 11.7%. does anyone know what i am doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2005 #2
    Is this problem from Materials Science and Engineering Intro by William D CallisteR?

If it is then it's question # 4.22. Anyway try doing #4.20 first, or just simply use the equation thats given in # 4.20.

4. Sep 21, 2005 #3
    it is that book, but it is in chapter 5, not chapter 4.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?