Material Science: Experiences & Opportunities

In summary: I'm not sure. The pay is good though, so it's something to consider.In summary, MrCaN is preparing to graduate from college and is considering a career in material science. He recommends a MS in materials science and engineering as the best route to take. He also advises studying materials science at a non-thesis level to gain a better understanding of the field.
MrCaN
Hey, I am preparing to graduate at the end of this semester, and was wondering if anyone here is or has worked int he material science field. I don't think I'm going to go to grad school right away, and am thinking of looking into this field for a job, and would just like to know of any experiences people have had.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is that your major ? There's many braches under Materials science - polymers and plastics, semiconductors, magnetic materials, structural materials, mechanical behavior (fracture, fatigue, thermal cycling, etc.), corrosion and coatings, materials characterization and instrumentation, materials/inorganic synthesis, bio-materials, etc. Do you have any specialization you want to get into ? What is your background ?

Hmm...I'm asking more questions than I'm answering, aren't I ? There...that's another one, isn't it ?

I think it can be quite a fun field. My experience is entirely in research and I've worked on development of long afterglow phosphors; synthesis and characterization of intermetallic permanent magnets; study of phenomena in semiconductor Qunatum Well structures; and have dabbled in photolithography, chemical etching, synthesis of GMR manganites and cuprate superconductors, etc.

I think I should chime in my 2-cent here.

You need to be a bit more careful in defining "Material Science" as an academic major. In many schools, "Material Science" is a part of the engineering college. So while there may be a large overlap in the content of study with those studying the physics of materials, such area of study focuses more on the application, fabrication, and engineering aspect of material science.

However, if the study of "Material Science" is within the physics department, then this is more likely to be known as "Condensed Matter Physics". Again, this may involve application and fabrication of materials, but also involve in a large part the study of the physics of materials, especially many-body physics of the strongly correlated systems. This field of physics includes magnetism, low-dimensional systems, semiconductors, superconductors, magnetoresistance, etc.

In many instances, this boundary is not that significant at the very end. For example, the American Physical Society lumps both condensed matter physicists and material scientists into one division under its wing called the the Division of Condensed Matter Physics/Material Sciences (no brainer there!). Together, the make up the largest division of the APS.

What it boils down to is the subtle area of interest that YOU have, or might want to go into. The best thing to do is go to the various schools that you might want to apply to, look at all the reseach areas that are available, how active are the faculty members in those areas, look at the various publications they produce, and select one or two that you might like to work in. While you may have to indicate the area you want to go into in your graduate school application, you really don't have to make a firm commitment to any area until you pass your qualifier. Most faculty members don't want you to work for them anyway till you do! :)

Zz.

I don't think MrCaN wants to go to school just yet.

Gokul43201 said:
I don't think MrCaN wants to go to school just yet.

Oops. You're correct. I should have read it more carefully.

Zz.

MrCaN? is that Mister Calcium Nitride? Just curious.

A new hot topic is InN-InGaN solar cells. They have the possibility to be perfectly tailored to the solar spectrum. There are problems though - it is hard to grow cheaply, hard to electrically contact and hard to make flexible and durable. Solve those problems and you'll be rich.

Njorl

Growth area: Nanotechnology.

once we have nanotechnology, there will be no need for solar cells

nanotechnology...shmanotechnology ! :grumpy::mad:

My advice to you would be to go get a non-thesis MS in materials science & engineering. I found I enjoyed my MS work much more then the BS they tought during undergrad. The classes are more interesting, and you seem to retain much more from them. Plus you can do it in a year or 1.5 if you want to.

I finished my MS a little over two years ago and my first job will payfor the extra school. A buddy was hired at the same time at $10k less than me, and while he will have that two years at ~50k that I will have to make up, the 2-4% raises every year will more than make up for the difference after a short while.

If you want some school recomendations, ask away as I know a lot of them. It really depends on your interestes.

As for places to work, if you are above a 3.0, Intel will probably hire you if you have a pulse. I would also check with other semiconductor companies like AMD, Motorola, etc.

Aerospace is a good place to be right now, but the jobs are harder to find for us MSE types. I know I had a hard time getting good offers as an undergrad, but not so much with a MS. Anyway, for what it's worth.

1. What is material science?

Material science is a branch of science that deals with the study of the properties, structures, and applications of various materials, such as metals, ceramics, polymers, and composites. It involves understanding the relationship between a material's composition, structure, and processing methods and how they affect its properties and performance.

2. What are some examples of materials studied in material science?

Some examples of materials studied in material science include metals, such as steel and aluminum, ceramics, such as glass and clay, polymers, such as plastics and rubber, and composites, such as carbon fiber and fiberglass. Other materials, such as semiconductors and biomaterials, are also studied in material science.

3. What are the potential applications of material science?

The potential applications of material science are vast and diverse. It can be applied in industries such as aerospace, automotive, electronics, healthcare, and construction. Material scientists also play a crucial role in developing new and improved materials for various applications, such as lightweight and durable materials for transportation, biodegradable materials for packaging, and biomaterials for medical implants.

4. What are the opportunities in the field of material science?

The field of material science offers a wide range of opportunities for scientists, engineers, and researchers. This includes opportunities for research and development in industries, academia, and government agencies. Material science also offers opportunities for innovation and entrepreneurship, as advancements in materials can lead to new products and technologies.

5. How does material science contribute to sustainability?

Material science plays a critical role in contributing to sustainability by developing new and improved materials that are more environmentally friendly and sustainable. This includes developing materials that are recyclable, biodegradable, and have a lower environmental impact during production and use. Material scientists also work towards improving the efficiency of materials, reducing waste and energy consumption.