1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Material Selection for What?

1. Jan 20, 2016 #1
    • Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
    Firstly, it is a basic problem. I need to decide on a part of machine or anything for material selection presentation using CES Material Selector. I need a simple shape and simple property material because I can't calculate complicate dynamic loading so I need some limitations for instance, elongation, elastic modulus, base material,composition detail, price, density, mechanical, thermal ,electrical, optical properties etc.(they are surely as range). I did my last project on shoe middle and outer sole for walking shoes but it was hard to find specific infos.

The material should be very specific using because determining of limitatons based on that. Which material is the most suitable for this situation?

Thanks a lot.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2016 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Bicycle frame - that's always a popular choice - lots of information about selection of material for frames on web .

Body and handle of domestic appliance such as iron or vacuum cleaner .

Any parts from power drills or other DIY tools .

Swing arm of car side mirror .

4. Jan 20, 2016 #3
    I thank to you for your answers. If I cdo the project, I will add my presentation. I have one question about your answer. Do the choices have specific properties? For bicycle frame, can we know the applied force ?

5. Jan 20, 2016 #4

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Jan 20, 2016 #5

billy_joule

Science Advisor

You don't need to know applied forces.
    You need to identify the important parameters for the part you're optimizing for, then plug them into CES. Are optical, thermal or electrical properties important for a bike frame? Or is cost, strength and weight more important? What about a frying pan or a window pane? If you choose the right parameters the result of your optimization will match what is used in the real world.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted