Find Optimal Beam Dimensions for Supported Footbridge | Material Selection

In summary, the conversation discusses the selection of dimensions for a simply supported footbridge to span a total of 7 meters. The load on the beam is a distributed force of 5kN/m plus its weight, and the conversation focuses on finding the maximum bending moment and maximum stress in the beam. The approach involves using a bending moment equation and finding an elastic section modulus that meets certain restrictions. The conversation also addresses a calculation error and confirms that the weight of the beam should be treated as uniform.
danago
Gold Member
A simply supported footbridge is to span a total of 7 meters. The load on the beam is a distributed force of 5kN/m plus its weight. Taking into account the beams weight, what dimensions should be selected for the beam?

Ive been given a table of beam dimensions along with their values for elastic modulus, second moment, measurements of mass per length etc.

I started by coming up with a the bending moment as a function of x, the distance from the end of the beam:

[tex]
M(x) = \left\{ {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
{(17.5 + 0.5W)x - 2.5x^2 } & {x \in [0,3.5)} \\
{3.5W + (17.5 - 0.5W)x - 2.5x^2 } & {x \in [3.5,7]} \\
\end{array}} \right.
[/tex]

Where W is the wight of the beam.

I then found that the maximum bending moment occurs at x=3.5, so:

[tex]
M_{\max } = 30.625 + 1.75W
\]

Given this, i want to choose a beam with dimensions such that the maximum stress in the beam does not exceed the yield strength, where the maximum stress is given by:

[tex]
\sigma _{\max } = \frac{{M_{\max } y_{\max } }}{I} = \frac{{M_{\max } }}{z}
[/tex]

Where z is the elastic section modulus. In this case, i will assume the maximum yield stress to be 60% of the actual yield stress, as in my mechanics class we are generally told to use a safety factor of 0.6.

[tex]
\sigma _{\max } = 150MPa = 150 \times 10^6 Pa
[/tex]

With these restrictions in place, i should find an elastic section modulus such that:

[tex]
z \ge \frac{{M_{\max } }}{{\sigma _{\max } }} = \frac{{30625 + 1750W}}{{150 \times 10^6 }}
[/tex]

Now my table gives values for z in the units mm^3, so i converted it to mm^3 by multiplying by 1000^3.

[tex]
z \ge \frac{{612500 + 35000W}}{3}
[/tex]

Now the table gives different values for the beams mass per unit length (kg/m), so i can calculate the weight of different beams and then put it into the equation above, but everytime i do so, i get answers that seem way too high.

Does anyone have any input? I am not even sure if I've approached the question in the correct way. I think what's causing me problems is the fact that the weight isn't neglected like most other problems i need to solve.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I haven'y checked your numbers, but your calc for the moment caused by the weight of the beam is wrong. The max moment caused by the beams weight is not WL/4 as you have calculated, but rather, WL/8 (the beam's weight may be considered concentrated at mid point when determining end reactions, but when considering internal stresses and moments, you must distribute it over the length of the beam. ). Otherwise, your approach looks OK, check your numbers, the SI metric system in engineering leaves me cold , since I use only standard USA units.

So when working with the weight, should i treat the bar as being uniform, so that the weight per unit length is given by W/7 N/m ?

danago said:
So when working with the weight, should i treat the bar as being uniform, so that the weight per unit length is given by W/7 N/m ?
Yes, where W is the total weight of the beam, in Newtons (If w is the weight per unit length of the beam, W=wL, and M_max, from the beam weight alone, is WL /8 or wL^2/8).

Ahh ok that helps :) Thanks very much.

1. What factors should be considered when determining optimal beam dimensions for a footbridge?

When determining optimal beam dimensions for a footbridge, there are several factors that need to be considered. These include the length and span of the bridge, the expected load and weight it will be supporting, the type of material used for the beams, and the desired safety factor for the bridge.

2. How does the length and span of a footbridge affect the optimal beam dimensions?

The length and span of a footbridge play a crucial role in determining the optimal beam dimensions. The longer and wider the bridge, the larger and thicker the beams will need to be in order to support the weight and prevent any bending or sagging. A bridge with a shorter length and span may be able to use smaller and thinner beams.

3. What is the best material for footbridge beams?

The best material for footbridge beams depends on several factors, such as the expected load, weather conditions, and budget. Some common materials used for footbridge beams include steel, wood, and concrete. Each material has its own strengths and weaknesses, and the choice should be based on the specific needs and requirements of the project.

4. How do you calculate the optimal beam dimensions for a footbridge?

The optimal beam dimensions for a footbridge can be calculated using engineering formulas and equations. These calculations take into account factors such as the expected load, bridge span, and material properties to determine the appropriate size and shape of the beams. It is important to consult with a structural engineer to ensure accurate calculations and proper design.

5. What is the safety factor for footbridge beams?

The safety factor for footbridge beams refers to the amount of extra strength and support that is built into the design to ensure the bridge can safely handle unexpected loads or stress. The recommended safety factor for footbridge beams is typically 1.5, meaning that the beams should be able to support 1.5 times the expected maximum load. This allows for a margin of safety and helps prevent any structural failures.