Why is my material testing machine throwing out errors at speeds over 250mm/min?

In summary, the machine has a problem when making tests at speed like below 250mm/min, it is ok if we go over that speed, but if we start with higher speed than it throws out an error.
romascenko
We have a problem with mentioned machine when making tests at speed like below 250mm/min its ok but if we go over that speed machine throws out error its like that the machine hasnt got enough power and because there is not smooth working programm shut down test. If i do a speed ramp to go up from 50 to 500mm/min its working ok if i start with higher speed than it throws out.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What kind of material testing machine are we talking about?

mechanical tests like tensile , compression etc

You may be overloading the motor by not only stirring but accelerating the mass too fast.

But we would need a lot more details about the machine, the error, and the experiment to give a better quality answer.

Its a tension machine and the test is without any load just simple movement of traverse. If there is any load error happens even at lower speeds. And if i start moveing traverse step by step from 50 to 500 there will be no problem. If i do a start with speed 250mm/min it will shut down it will try to start but fail it looks like its abnormal heavy load but its actually without load.

So if we do a step by step speedup it ll be ok. It ll reach its max speed.
If i start with middle speed it ll shut down.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensile_testing

When we ask you to describe the testing machine, we mean:
Does it have a motor, reducer, and lead screw?
Does it have a motor, reducer, and ball screw?
Is it hydraulic? If so, hand valve or servovalve?
New or old? If old, how well has it been maintained?
Manufacturer and model.
And the answers to the next 10 to 20 questions. Maybe a photo or two.

You have a master's degree. Use that background to (1) think of what we need to know to help you, (2) how to communicate that information to us, and (3) communicate it. Then we can help.

With a gage length of 50 mm, the 250 mm/min (or 4.17 mm/s) produces a strain rate of ~0.08 /s. That is a relatively fast strain rate, and may require a special machine or program. What is the capability and/or range of calibration for the machine? For that matter, what is the brand/model of the machine, what testing standard is being employed, and what material is being tested? I'm assuming room temperature, but one could be testing at elevated temperature.

I recently reviewed data from a program that performed tensile tests on an alloy from room temperature to ~920 C, and strain rates from 1 E-5 to 100 /s. Different machines were required. Typical uniaxial strain rates for materials are around 1 E-5 to 1E-4 /s, which are useful for static loads or slow loadings. Dynamic loads are another matter.

Last edited:
http://instron.us/en-us/products/testing-systems/universal-testing-systems/electromechanical/3300/3380-floor-model

I think all your Qs are here on this link.
Its like 10 years old it has been regulary serviced etc...

jrmichler said:
You have a master's degree. Use that background to (1) think of what we need to know to help you, (2) how to communicate that information to us, and (3) communicate it. Then we can help.

A catalog description of a family of testing machines tells us almost nothing. You need to specifically describe your machine, the test specimen, loads and forces, and specifically what is happening and under what conditions. Pretend that you are writing the chapter of a master's thesis titled "Experimental Setup". Then condense it to one page and post it here.

Likes Astronuc
romascenko said:
http://instron.us/en-us/products/testing-systems/universal-testing-systems/electromechanical/3300/3380-floor-model

I think all your Qs are here on this link.
Its like 10 years old it has been regulary serviced etc...
So, the machine one is using is an Instron 3380? As jrmichler indicated, describing one's 'Experimental Setup' would help us understand more about the situation. Simply providing a link to a manufacturers description does not tell us how the machine is being used in one's situation. For example, the manufacturer's information does not specify procedures, e.g., https://www.astm.org/Standards/E8.htm or https://www.astm.org/Standards/A370.htm. There are other standards for other materials, and for testing metals at elevated temperature. There are also ISO standards. For example, https://www.iso.org/standard/51081.html, and https://www.iso.org/standard/43441.html

Likes ChemAir
Thx for help but i have solved it problem is leeking capacitor. :) If any more Q i will try to answer them.

Likes Tom.G

1. What is a Material Testing Machine?

A Material Testing Machine is a device used to test various mechanical properties of materials, such as strength, stiffness, and durability. It applies controlled amounts of force and measures the resulting response to determine the material's behavior under different conditions.

2. What types of materials can be tested with a Material Testing Machine?

A Material Testing Machine can test a wide range of materials, including metals, plastics, composites, rubber, textiles, and more. It can also test different forms of materials, such as solid, liquid, or powder.

3. How does a Material Testing Machine work?

A Material Testing Machine works by applying a controlled force or load to a specimen and measuring the resulting response. This is done through various methods, including tension, compression, bending, and torsion tests. The machine also records data such as force, displacement, and strain to analyze the material's behavior.

4. What are the benefits of using a Material Testing Machine?

Using a Material Testing Machine offers several benefits, such as providing accurate and reliable data on material properties, helping to improve product quality, and ensuring compliance with industry standards and regulations. It also allows for the testing of materials under different conditions, helping to identify any weaknesses or potential failures.

5. How important is material testing in the scientific and industrial fields?

Material testing is crucial in both the scientific and industrial fields. It helps researchers and engineers understand the behavior of various materials, develop new products, and improve existing ones. It also plays a significant role in ensuring the safety and reliability of products, from everyday objects to critical components used in industries such as aerospace and automotive.