Material toughness,static vs impact

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a static tensile test, which produces a stress strain graph that can be used to determine toughness. This toughness data can then be used to predict failure under impact loads. However, the idea is also raised that an impact toughness test could be used instead. The question is then posed as to why both tests would be necessary and what impact tests would be considered. The difference between specimens used for the tensile and impact test is also mentioned. It is clarified that this is not coursework, but rather a real-life scenario involving an object being dropped from a height, which would result in a high strain rate. The speaker wonders if the area under the static stress strain diagram can be used to calculate the
srchandran
let me explain i do a static tensile test and get the stress strain graph. the area under the
graph is the toughness that means i can use this static toughness data to predict
the failure under impact loads

other idea is that i have done a impact toughess test.

if i can get the toughness value from a static stress strain graph why should i
again do a impact toughness test

Engineering news on Phys.org
let me explain

Is this coursework and have you been told to do both tests and explain why?

What impact tests are you considering ( Charpy?, Izod?, other?) and what is the difference between the specimens for tthe tensile and impact test?

this is not coursework. i drop an object from a height. that means it is a high strain rate
problem. can i use a static stress strain diagram and calculate the area under the curve

can i compare the strain energy of the impact and compare it with the area under
the static stress strain diagram

What is material toughness?

Material toughness is the ability of a material to resist fracture under the application of a force. It is a measure of a material's ability to absorb energy before breaking.

How is material toughness measured?

Material toughness is typically measured using a variety of tests, such as Charpy and Izod impact tests, which measure the amount of energy required to fracture a material under a sudden impact.

What is the difference between static and impact loading?

Static loading refers to the application of a constant force over a period of time, while impact loading refers to a sudden and intense force applied to a material in a short amount of time. The difference between the two can greatly affect a material's toughness and overall strength.

Which is more important, material toughness or strength?

Both material toughness and strength are important characteristics in determining a material's performance in different applications. However, toughness is often considered more important in situations where the material will experience sudden and unpredictable forces, such as in impact loading scenarios.

How can material toughness be improved?

There are several ways to improve material toughness, such as increasing the material's ductility, reducing impurities, and altering the microstructure. Different materials may require different methods to improve their toughness, and it often involves a trade-off with other properties, such as strength and hardness.