Where Can I Send Samples for Advanced Materials Characterization?

• Thread starter u.ahmadu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Materials
In summary, Dr. Umar Ahmadu is looking for contact information and fees for university institutions where he can send samples for characterization using XRD, EDX, SEM, DTA/DSC/TGA, UV-Vis, NMR, and IS (impedance spectroscopy). He works with both thin film and bulk materials and is open to collaboration.
u.ahmadu
Dear All,

I am looking for contact address(es) of university institution(s) where i could send samples for characterization. I work using XRD, EDX, SEM, IS(impedance spectroscopy analyzers-upto GHz frequencies). Also, DTA/DSC/TGA, UV-Vis and NMR, among others, principally. I Work with both thin and bulk materials.
An idea about the fees would be helpful and method of payment. Of course if i can get collaboration it would be welcomed.

Thank you.

Dr. Umar Ahmadu

Engineering news on Phys.org
u.ahmadu said:
Dear All,

I am looking for contact address(es) of university institution(s) where i could send samples for characterization. I work using XRD, EDX, SEM, IS(impedance spectroscopy analyzers-upto GHz frequencies). Also, DTA/DSC/TGA, UV-Vis and NMR, among others, principally. I Work with both thin and bulk materials.
An idea about the fees would be helpful and method of payment. Of course if i can get collaboration it would be welcomed.

Thank you.

Dr. Umar Ahmadu

Welcome to the PF.

We moved your thread to the Material Science forum, where it should get better responses.

The type of analyses you are looking for would be available at industrial labs, probably more accessible and available than trying to get such work done at university labs. I have used a few such resources here in Silicon Valley, California (US) in the past:

Non Destructive Test Labs: http://www.ndtlabs.com/

Foothills Analytical Laboratory: http://www.foothills-analytical.com/

Even if these labs cannot do exactly what you want, they may be able to point you to other labs or consultants who can help.

At least naming the continent on which you are wouldn't hurt, as we have users from all over the world. If you are in the middle of Pacific European labs don't make much sense, while if you live on Faroe Islands sending your samples to New Zealand would be rather extravagant.

Dear All,

Kindly provide me with contact information about where i could send my samples for NMR and IS(Impedance spectroscopy, upto GHz range) and the relevant fees to be paid.I work with both thin film and bulk material.

Thank you.

Umar Ahmadu

Minna, Nigeria

Last edited:

Dear Dr. Umar Ahmadu,

Thank you for your inquiry about materials characterization. There are many university institutions that offer materials characterization services. Some notable ones include the Materials Characterization Facility at the University of Maryland, the Materials Characterization and Processing Facility at the University of California, Davis, and the Materials Characterization Laboratory at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). You can also search for materials characterization facilities at other universities that may be closer to your location or have specific expertise in your area of research.

In terms of fees and method of payment, it would be best to contact the specific institution you are interested in directly. The fees may vary depending on the type of analysis and the equipment used. Some institutions may offer discounted rates for academic researchers or collaborations. It would also be helpful to provide them with more details about your project and the specific techniques you require for characterization.

I hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research.

Sincerely,

1. What is materials characterization?

Materials characterization is the process of examining and analyzing the properties and structures of materials. This includes physical, chemical, mechanical, and thermal properties, as well as microstructural features.

2. Why is materials characterization important?

Materials characterization is important because it allows scientists to understand the properties and behavior of materials at a microscopic level. This information is crucial for developing new materials, improving existing ones, and ensuring their quality and performance in various applications.

3. What techniques are used in materials characterization?

There are various techniques used in materials characterization, including microscopy (optical, electron, and scanning probe), spectroscopy (infrared, Raman, UV-Vis, X-ray), diffraction (X-ray, neutron), thermal analysis (DSC, TGA), and mechanical testing (tensile, hardness).

4. How does materials characterization contribute to scientific research?

Materials characterization plays a crucial role in scientific research by providing detailed information about the properties and structures of materials. This information can help researchers understand the behavior of materials in different environments, identify new materials with desired properties, and improve the performance of existing materials.

5. What industries rely on materials characterization?

Materials characterization is important in various industries, including manufacturing, aerospace, automotive, electronics, biomedical, and energy. These industries rely on materials characterization to develop new products, improve existing ones, and ensure the quality and reliability of their materials.

Back