Materials Engineering (Crystal Structure) - C/A Ratio?

In summary: Therefore, in summary, the c/a ratio for Beryllium is 0.031. I hope this explanation helps and you feel more confident in your chemistry skills. Keep up the good work!
Sharrow
Hi there,

This may be a very basic question, but I have almost no knowledge of chemistry, unfortunately!

Homework Statement

Beryllium (Be) is a HCP metal with an atomic weight of 9, an atomic radius of 0.112nm and a density of 1850kg/m^3. Calculate its c/a ratio given that Avogadro's Number is [tex]6.02\times{10^{26}}kg/mole[/tex].

Homework Equations

[tex]V_{HCP} = \frac{3\sqrt{3}a^{2}c}{2}[/tex]

[tex]V_{HCP} = \frac{nA}{\rho\mbox{N}_{A}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]V_{HCP} = \frac{nA}{\rho\mbox{N}_{A}}\\= \frac{6\times{9}}{1850\times{(6.02\times{10^{26}}})}\\= 4.849\times{10^{-29}}m^{3}[/tex]

[tex]4.849\times{10^{-29}}m^{3} = \frac{3\sqrt{3}a^{2}c}{2}[/tex]

[tex]a^{2} = ({\frac{(4.849\times{10^{-29}})\times{2}}{3\sqrt{3}}})\times{\frac{1}{c}} = ({1.866\times{10^{-29}}})\times{\frac{1}{c}}[/tex]

This is where I get stuck, because I can't manipulate the equation to get c/a. I'm probably going about the question in completely the wrong way, but I couldn't find anything about c/a ratios in my lecture notes - I'd never heard of it until I was given this tutorial question! Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Sharrow

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Sharrow,

No worries, everyone has to start somewhere! Let me help you with this problem.

First, let's define some variables:

a = lattice parameter (distance between HCP lattice points)
c = height of HCP unit cell
V_{HCP} = volume of HCP unit cell
n = number of atoms in the unit cell (in this case, n = 6 since there are 6 atoms in a HCP unit cell of Beryllium)
A = atomic weight of Beryllium (in this case, A = 9)
\rho = density of Beryllium (in this case, \rho = 1850kg/m^3)
N_A = Avogadro's Number (N_A = 6.02\times{10^{26}}kg/mole)

Now, let's rearrange the equation for V_{HCP} to solve for c:

V_{HCP} = \frac{3\sqrt{3}a^{2}c}{2}
2V_{HCP} = 3\sqrt{3}a^{2}c
\frac{2V_{HCP}}{3\sqrt{3}a^{2}} = c

Next, let's plug in the values for V_{HCP} and a:

V_{HCP} = \frac{nA}{\rho\mbox{N}_{A}}
V_{HCP} = \frac{6\times{9}}{1850\times{(6.02\times{10^{26}}})} = 4.849\times{10^{-29}}m^{3}
a = \frac{2r}{\sqrt{3}} = \frac{2(0.112\times{10^{-9}}m)}{\sqrt{3}} = 0.129\times{10^{-9}}m

Substituting these values into our equation for c, we get:

c = \frac{2(4.849\times{10^{-29}}m^{3})}{3\sqrt{3}(0.129\times{10^{-9}}m)^{2}} = 0.004\times{10^{-9}}m = 4\times{10^{-12}}m

Now, to find the c/a ratio, we simply divide c by a:

c/a = \frac{4\times

Hello Sharrow,

Thank you for your question. The c/a ratio, also known as the axial ratio, is a measure of the ratio between the height (c) and the length (a) of the unit cell in a crystal structure. In the case of hexagonal close-packed (HCP) materials, the c/a ratio is equal to the square root of 8/3, which is approximately 1.633. This means that the height of the unit cell is about 1.633 times the length of the unit cell.

To calculate the c/a ratio for beryllium, we can use the equation you provided: V_{HCP} = \frac{3\sqrt{3}a^{2}c}{2}. However, instead of trying to solve for c/a, we can use the known values for the atomic radius, density, and atomic weight of beryllium to find the value of c/a.

First, let's rearrange the equation to solve for c/a:

\frac{V_{HCP}}{a^{2}} = \frac{3\sqrt{3}c}{2}

Next, we can substitute in the given values for beryllium:

\frac{4.849\times{10^{-29}}m^{3}}{(0.112\times{10^{-9}}m)^{2}} = \frac{3\sqrt{3}c}{2}

Solving for c, we get:

c = \frac{(4.849\times{10^{-29}})\times{(0.112\times{10^{-9}})^{2}}}{3\sqrt{3}} = 1.17\times{10^{-9}}m

Now, we can calculate the c/a ratio:

c/a = \frac{1.17\times{10^{-9}}m}{0.112\times{10^{-9}}m} = 1.633

Therefore, the c/a ratio for beryllium is approximately 1.633, which is consistent with the expected value for HCP materials.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the C/A ratio in materials engineering and how does it affect crystal structure?

The C/A ratio, or the ratio of the lattice parameters c and a, is a measure of the elongation of a unit cell in a crystal structure. It is often used to describe the degree of anisotropy, or directionality, in a material. A high C/A ratio indicates a more elongated unit cell, while a low C/A ratio indicates a more cubic or isotropic structure.

2. How does the C/A ratio affect the mechanical properties of a material?

The C/A ratio can have a significant impact on the mechanical properties of a material. In general, materials with a high C/A ratio tend to be more brittle and less ductile, while those with a low C/A ratio are typically more ductile and have higher fracture toughness. This is because the elongated unit cell in materials with a high C/A ratio can create planes of weakness, making them more prone to fracture under stress.

3. Can the C/A ratio be manipulated to improve the properties of a material?

Yes, the C/A ratio can be manipulated through various processes such as alloying, heat treatment, and deformation. For example, adding certain alloying elements can change the C/A ratio and improve the mechanical properties of a material. In some cases, controlling the C/A ratio can also improve other properties such as thermal and electrical conductivity.

4. How does the C/A ratio affect the optical properties of a material?

The C/A ratio can have a significant impact on the optical properties of a material, particularly in materials with anisotropic crystal structures. For example, a high C/A ratio can lead to birefringence, where light passing through the material is split into two polarized beams, creating a double image. This can be utilized in applications such as polarizing filters.

5. Are there any disadvantages to manipulating the C/A ratio in materials engineering?

While manipulating the C/A ratio can lead to improved properties in some materials, it can also have drawbacks. For example, changing the C/A ratio can alter the crystal structure, which can affect other properties such as chemical reactivity and thermal expansion. Additionally, it can be difficult to precisely control the C/A ratio, which can result in inconsistent properties in the final material.