1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Materials Problems

1. Nov 11, 2007 #1
    I am answering a take home test but I am stucked with two questions:

1) How does electronic configuration affects chemical reactivity?

2) Describe the microstructure of a piece of steel after roling in one direction to achieve 20% reduction by cold working

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Numbers are not given

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I can´t find an answer in my book...so I am asking for your help guys..

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2007 #2

Staff: Mentor

The answer would be found in a text book on introductory chemistry.

Think of the periodic table and the relationship of the atomic number Z to the number of electrons, and the resulting electronic structure. The valence electrons determine the types of bonds an element forms. Look at the alkali and alkaline earth metals, as opposed to transitional metals, semi-metals, halogens and noble gases.

What happens when rolls a piece of steel with a permanent deformation which achieves 20% reduction (cold work)? What happens to the grains when they are compressed?

One consequence in the increase in dislocations in the metal. Dislocation density affects strength and ductility.

Also think about what happens in recrystallization.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?