Materials safe for food machines

In summary, the materials you should use for handling food depend on the application and the conditions. There are many safe polymers available, but you should be sure to contamination before starting your project.
iggybaseball
I've recently drawn up several machines that handle food. However I wanted to know if there are any materials that I should stay away from, for handling food. To clarify, I would like to go to a harware store to pick up supplies, but is it ok to run liquids or store food in pvc for example. What about when it comes to liquids. If anyone would like to suggest materials that I could use safely or that I should avoid, I would appreciate it greatly. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you asking just about polymers?

I didn't watch it, but http://www.bluevinyl.org/ is a supposed documentary about the use of PVC and other vinyls for food use. Apologies if it's useless, I couldn't be bothered to download it.

Anyway, there are concerns about the use of PVC in food applications, and in any case if your intentions are to market a product, you'll probably have to use certified food-grade plastics. Obviously, your material selection depends as much on the actual application as any safety issues, - it's pointless to use a safe plastic if it doesn't fulfil other criteria.

It should be remembered that all pure polymers themselves are non-toxic, but many additives (colourings, hardeners, stabilisers etc) added during the various manufacturing processes are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
The choice of materials depends on the conditions.

Storage containers can be made of polyethylene (PE) or polyethylene terephthalate (PETE), e.g. beverage containers.

Cooking would require ceramics like Pyrex or certain whitewares, or perhaps stainless steel. In the dairy industry and food processing industry, stainless steels are used because they can be sanitized after use.

One thing you have to sure of, is contamination, if a slither of plastic finds
its way into a food product it is virtually un detectable, nearly all mass
produced food passes through a metal detector, so any part of the machine
in contact with food should ideally be high grade s/steel.

We have audits to account for every plastic, glass item in factory, even biro
pen tops are not allowed.

Cool site Brews.

1. What materials are considered safe for use in food machines?

The most commonly used materials for food machines are stainless steel, aluminum, and food-grade plastic. These materials are durable, non-toxic, and resistant to corrosion and bacteria growth.

2. Are there any materials that should be avoided for use in food machines?

Yes, materials such as copper, brass, and non-food-grade plastic should be avoided as they can react with acidic or alkaline foods and potentially contaminate the food being processed.

3. How do I know if a material is food-grade?

Food-grade materials are those that have been deemed safe for contact with food by regulatory agencies. Look for certifications or labels such as FDA-approved or NSF-certified to ensure the material is suitable for use in food machines.

4. Can materials in food machines leach into the food being processed?

Yes, some materials, especially plastic, may leach chemicals into the food being processed if they are not food-grade. It is important to choose materials that are safe and approved for use in food machines to avoid any potential contamination.

5. How do I properly clean and maintain the materials in my food machine?

To maintain the safety of the materials in your food machine, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for cleaning and maintenance. Generally, stainless steel and aluminum can be cleaned with mild soap and water, while plastic may require special cleaning agents. Regular cleaning and proper storage can help prevent bacteria growth and maintain the integrity of the materials.