Is There a Comprehensive Database for Materials Science Papers?

In summary, the conversation discussed the availability of a grand database for papers in the materials science industry and the process of finding relevant information. Different journals and societies were mentioned as potential sources for materials-related papers, and the importance of identifying key authors and papers was highlighted. The conversation also touched on the advancements made possible by the internet in accessing information.
scott_alexsk
Hello,

Hey I was just wondering, is there any grand database of all papers published in the materials science industry. I have found some effects which seem unique to my current knowledge of the literature (the some 100 or so relevant papers I have looked at). Do I just have to google into infinity to find out whether or not someone has found this before, and buy the papers that I might think contain relevant information? Is that how it works? How do people go about this sort of thing?

Thanks,
-scott

Engineering news on Phys.org
I suppose that depends on the topic - whether its broad or relatively narrow.

What type of papers?

I belong to several technical socities, of which several ASM International, TMS and ASTM are primarily devoted to materials, their production, and their use. I also use particularly journals, e.g. Journal of Nuclear Materials, which is published by Elsevier and available from Science Direct, Elsevier's on-line catalog.

Here is Elsevier's list of http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=BrowseListURL&_type=subject&subjColl=19&zone=brws&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=18223c77ffcb708f23e2840e1a7ae9ca

Acta Materialia and Acta Metallurgica are the two major materials journals, and I believe that the latter has been incorporated into the former.

Most of the time, I know the specific articles I need, or I contact the author(s), many of whom I know.

If I am knew to a particular subject, I try to identify two or so key papers, and then read the refences/bibliography to find additional papers.

Thanks Astronauc, I appreciate that.

-scott

If you have particular topics in mind, please share them hear. If one has a specific topic in mind, try to identify two or three key authors and read their current papers. Then look at the references to see what other key papers are being referenced - and one can digress from there.

More than 20 years ago, I had to try to dig up a lot of obscure papers on refractory alloys. At the time, I found a few then current papers, which then let me to older papers - then 30-40 years old (now 50-60 years old).

One useful journal was Journal of the Less Common Metals ( :rolleyes: ) which is now continued as [urlhttp://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=PublicationURL&_cdi=5575&_pubType=J&_auth=y&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=1623130&md5=a25963e4ed52dcbd936e51b8bf2e3e82]Journal of Alloys and Compounds[/url].

With the internet, it's much easier these days to find information - but one still has to expend effort.

Springer is another big publisher of journals, including many on Materials.

http://www.springer-sbm.com/index.php?id=291&backPID=12409&L=0&tx_tnc_news=2636
Springer has announced a new partnership with The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society (TMS) and ASM International, The Materials Information Society, the two largest materials societies in the world. Starting in January 2007, Springer will publish seven of the societies’ journals: Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A and B (co-owned by the two societies), Journal of Electronic Materials (owned by TMS), and Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, Journal of Thermal Spray Technology, Journal of Failure Analysis and Prevention, and Journal of Phase Equilibria and Diffusion (owned by ASM).

If one is interested in materials - ASM International (www.asminternational.org[/url]) and TMS ([url]www.tms.org[/url]) are two good societies to which to belong. A third one, Materials Research Society (MRS - [url]www.mrs.org[/url]) is also a good society. Then there are the American Physical Society and their group on Condensed Matter physics - [url]www.aps.org[/url] - (Physical Review B - Condensed Matter and Materials Physiscs) - [url]http://prb.aps.org/[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Materials Science?

Materials Science is a multidisciplinary field that explores the properties and behavior of different materials, such as metals, polymers, ceramics, and composites. It combines principles from physics, chemistry, and engineering to understand how materials can be manipulated and optimized for various applications.

2. What is the purpose of Materials Science Papers?

Materials Science Papers serve as a medium for researchers and scientists to communicate their findings and advancements in the field of Materials Science. These papers provide a detailed description of the research conducted, methodology used, and results obtained, which can be replicated and built upon by other scientists.

3. How are Materials Science Papers evaluated?

Materials Science Papers are evaluated based on their scientific rigor, originality, and significance of the findings. The peer-review process is commonly used, where experts in the field review the paper and provide feedback and suggestions for improvement. The impact factor of the journal where the paper is published is also considered.

4. What are some common techniques used in Materials Science research?

Some common techniques used in Materials Science research include microscopy, spectroscopy, thermal analysis, and mechanical testing. These techniques allow researchers to analyze the structure, properties, and behavior of materials at a microscopic and macroscopic level.

5. How does Materials Science research impact our daily lives?

Materials Science research has a significant impact on our daily lives as it contributes to the development of new and improved materials for various applications. For example, advances in materials science have led to the development of stronger and lighter alloys for use in transportation, more efficient solar cells for renewable energy, and biocompatible materials for medical implants.