Materials - unit cell question

In summary, redbelly98 found that the true lattice parameter of BCC is 4R/sqrt(3), and that the distance between adjacent atoms for FCC is 2R*sqrt(2).
djroberts
Materials -- unit cell question

"In terms of the atomic radius, R, determine the distance between the centers of adjacent atoms for the BCC crystal structure along the [111] direction."

I got the answer 4R but it is wrong. I came up with this by assuming that atoms touch each other in the [111] direction in a BCC structure. In this direction [111] there is one atom that goes through the (1/2,1/2,1/2) position and half an atom at the origin and half an atom at the (1,1,1) position summing to 4 half's of an atom in length. using the answer 4R I got the lattice parameter a=4R/sqrt(3) which is the true lattice parameter of BCC.

I also answered another question:

"In terms of the atomic radius, R, determine the distance between the centers of adjacent atoms for the FCC crystal structure along the [100] direction. "

and got the answer 2R*sqrt(2) which was right. This was derived by saying FCC has atoms that touch along the [101] direction, and then doing geometry to calculate the [100] direction.

any help on this would be great, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

djroberts said:
"In terms of the atomic radius, R, determine the distance between the centers of adjacent atoms for the BCC crystal structure along the [111] direction."

I got the answer 4R but it is wrong. I came up with this by assuming that atoms touch each other in the [111] direction in a BCC structure. In this direction [111] there is one atom that goes through the (1/2,1/2,1/2) position and half an atom at the origin and half an atom at the (1,1,1) position summing to 4 half's of an atom in length.
Okay, yes, it's 4R from the atom at (0,0,0) to the atom at (1,1,1). But those are not adjacent atoms.

using the answer 4R I got the lattice parameter a=4R/sqrt(3) which is the true lattice parameter of BCC.I also answered another question:

"In terms of the atomic radius, R, determine the distance between the centers of adjacent atoms for the FCC crystal structure along the [100] direction. "

and got the answer 2R*sqrt(2) which was right. This was derived by saying FCC has atoms that touch along the [101] direction, and then doing geometry to calculate the [100] direction.

any help on this would be great, thanks.

p.s. Welcome to PF :smile:

thanks for the welcome redbelly98! and I got it thanks :)

1. What is a unit cell?

A unit cell is the smallest repeating unit of a crystal lattice. It contains all the necessary information to describe the entire crystal structure.

2. How is a unit cell determined?

A unit cell is determined by the crystal system and lattice parameters, which are determined through X-ray diffraction experiments.

3. What are the different types of unit cells?

There are seven types of unit cells: cubic, tetragonal, orthorhombic, monoclinic, triclinic, hexagonal, and rhombohedral. These are based on the different arrangements of atoms within the unit cell.

4. How is the volume of a unit cell calculated?

The volume of a unit cell is calculated by multiplying the edge lengths of the unit cell. For example, for a cubic unit cell, the volume would be calculated as a^3, where a is the length of one edge.

5. What is the significance of unit cells in material science?

Unit cells are important in material science because they provide information about the arrangement and symmetry of atoms within a crystal lattice. This information is crucial in understanding the physical and chemical properties of materials and in designing new materials with desired properties.