1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Materila paramters

1. May 21, 2009 #1
    Hi everyone...

I am doing a heat transfer simulation problem related with silicon, silicon dioxide and Nickel.... I would like to get some parametres like heat transfer coeffecient(h), emmisivity (e) etc of these materials .....has anyone got this data or can anyone suggest me a link to get these data...

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2009 #2

minger

Science Advisor

Those aren't really material properties, they are more geometry and actual problem based. You'll need way more information.

4. May 21, 2009 #3
    hi minger
    thanks for responding.....so how will i get those values??? is heat transfer coeffecient a geometry based function??? i am actually interested in microns and nanometre scale values...

5. May 21, 2009 #4
    Heat is transferred by a)conduction, b)convection. and c)radiation. Is there any other way?

6. May 22, 2009 #5

minger

Science Advisor

Yes, often times heat transfer coefficients are described in terms of the Nusselt number
    [tex]Nu_l \equiv \frac{h_l l}{k}[/tex]
    Where l is a characteristic length, h is the convection coefficient and k is the thermal conductivity.

Now, the Nusselt number is something that can be found either experimentally, or empirically. For example, for a cylinder in cross-flow, the Number can be:
    [tex]
    \bar{Nu_D} = 0.3 + \frac{0.62 Re_D^{1/2}Pr^{1/3}}{[1+(0.4/Pr)^{2/3}]^{1/4}}\left[1+ \left(\frac{Re_D}{282,000}\right)^{5/8}\right]^{4/5}
    [/tex]
    This is just a big function which is based on two simple non-dimensional parameters, Reynolds and Prandlt. From calculating this, one can go and back calculate the convection coefficient.

However, on nano-scale things break down. You'll have to find number/results that not only apply to your geometry, but on small scale as well. I wish you luck,

7. May 25, 2009 #6
    thanks minger..
    so u mean to say that i cant rely on the formula which u gave nw....ok then my hard time starts nw to find on the nano scale...can you tell me what those above equations will be if my crss section is a cuboid? and lso any source to find reynolds and prandlt's parametre?

8. May 25, 2009 #7

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A good start might be Ozsun et al.'s, "On heat transfer at microscale with implications for microactuator design," J Micromech Microeng 19 (2009).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook