1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math 100, integer ring help

1. Feb 29, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Can someone explain the notation of the integer ring(Z)? My friend's in Math 100 and has questions on Z. I have never heard of ring's before and I'm at a loss to help him. From what I've gathered Z is a set of all integers. They ask for the invertible elements in different Zn like Z1 Zi Z101 if someone could explain how to identify invertible elements in the different Zn would be great.

They also ask him to "Factor 5 + i over Z."

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried to look up rings, but I don't understand how you would factor a number over a set especially when it has an imaginary in there, haven't really worked with them that much. No text for the class and no explanation from the instructor.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's nice of you to try and help your friend. But since he's taking the course maybe you should ask him to explain some of this stuff to you. Z(n) is the set of integer mod n. x has an inverse if there is a number y such that x*y=1 mod n. It has a fair amount to do with whether the gcd(x,n) is 1 or not. Z is the integers extended by the imaginary unit, i. I.e. all numbers of the form n+mi with n and m integers. Does (5+i) equal a product of two of those numbers in a nontrivial way?

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  4. Feb 29, 2008 #3
    thanks, and he says his teacher didn't explain it to him at all so thats why I'm doing this for him.

If you could clarify, what does mod n mean? And how would he go about factoring 5 + i over Z? would it just be 5?

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  5. Feb 29, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What he's really saying is that he didn't pay attention while his teacher explained it. Can he at least bother to read the textbook?

6. Feb 29, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Maybe your friend could post his questions directly here or loan you his textbook so you can look these things up? If not there are other sources of definitions besides here. Try looking up 'modular arithmetic' for the first topic and 'gaussian integers' for the second.

7. Feb 29, 2008 #6
    wow do you guys read, this is a math 100 course at a ****ty university, you automatically assume that the teacher is perfect, and there is no textbook for the 2nd time, but thanks for the topics of research dick i have a starting point

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?