1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math and Chemistry?

1. Mar 8, 2015 #1
    I'm a freshman math major and I want to pursue a PhD in math after graduation. I've heard that the job prospects for mathematicians are better if you have a background in another field. So I want to pursue a second major- which I probably would have done anyway because science is awesome! Anyway, I'm considering either physics or chemistry, but I can't decide!

I don't know why, but chemistry is my favorite branch of science. My passion for chemistry makes absolutely no sense. I mean, I LOVE math, and physics is closer to math than chemistry is. I've actually tried to force myself to love physics the way I love chemistry, but I can't. I like physics (and science in general), but for some reason, I can't help but love chemistry almost as much as I do math.

Unfortunately, chemistry isn't that closely related to math compared to physics, computer science, or engineering. Would a second BS in chemistry still be advantageous?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2015 #2
    Lots of math in advanced chemistry when you get into molecular mechanics, simulations and modeling.

No reason you can't both study math and chemistry. Don't over think it and stop trying to sabotage doing what you love.

4. Mar 8, 2015 #3

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

I concur. I have colleagues that are applied mathematicians working on algorithms for quantum chemistry and optimization.

5. Mar 8, 2015 #4
    A second BS is ALWAYS useful, first of all. And as the others have said, advanced chemistry does use a great deal of mathematics, so don't worry about that. Chemistry will be a significant help in getting jobs, as a safeguard for your advanced math degree.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook