College Admissions and Math: What Are Schools Looking For?

In summary, when applying to schools like Harvey Mudd and Caltech, it is beneficial to showcase your strengths in math through achievements such as math competitions, advanced math courses (Calc III and higher), and potentially research experience. Other schools with strong pure math programs, such as Harvey Mudd, may be less competitive compared to top schools like Caltech and Harvard. However, it is important to also stand out in other areas, not just math, in the college application process.
Evariste
If you say math is your strongest area on your college application, what kind of math achievement do they generally look for (schools like Harvey Mudd and Caltech), besides competition math (and given you want to have a "good" chance, however ambiguous that is)? Summer camps? Research? Advanced math (how advanced)? On that note, what are some excellent schools for pure math that are relatively much less competitive (compared to Caltech, Harvard, and the others in that acceptance range)? I know of Harvey Mudd. Others?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
College's typically look for anything that makes you stand out, not just in math but in any subject. Math competitions looks good (in fact I think some schools actually ask for AMC/AIME scores on their appliaction), advanced math does (I'd say Calc III and higher). I doubt you'd have any research from high school.

Thank you! Anyone else?

1. How important is math in college admission?

Math is a crucial component of college admission, as it is considered a core subject and is required by most colleges and universities. Strong math skills demonstrate critical thinking, problem-solving abilities, and a strong foundation for other subjects such as science and engineering.

2. What math courses should I take in high school to prepare for college admission?

To prepare for college admission, it is recommended to take a minimum of four years of math in high school, including algebra, geometry, and advanced courses such as trigonometry and calculus. Some colleges may also require specific math courses, so it is important to research the requirements of the schools you are interested in.

3. How do colleges evaluate a student's math abilities?

Colleges evaluate a student's math abilities through their high school transcripts, standardized test scores (such as the SAT or ACT), and any advanced placement or honors math courses taken. Some colleges may also require students to take a placement test in math to determine their level of proficiency.

4. Is it necessary to excel in math to get into a good college?

While strong math skills are important for college admission, they are not the only factor that colleges consider. Admissions committees also look at a student's overall academic performance, extracurricular activities, essays, and letters of recommendation. It is important to have a well-rounded application, rather than just excelling in one subject.

5. Are there any resources available to help improve math skills for college admission?

Yes, there are many resources available to help improve math skills for college admission. High schools often offer tutoring services or after-school programs, and there are also online resources and study guides available. Additionally, practicing math problems and seeking help from teachers or peers can also improve math skills.