Unifying Numerical Math and Symbolic Logic: Has Progress Been Made?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of unifying numerically based mathematics with true-false based symbolic logic. The speaker mentions previous attempts at this, such as reducing all forms of mathematics to an "axiom based" form of logic, but ultimately concludes that it is impossible due to Curt Goedel's incompleteness theorems. The conversation also touches on recent developments in logic, such as multi-valued and fuzzy logic, and the emergence of new mathematical concepts like the real numbers from set theory.
alvin51015
In the late 1980's I asked my logic professor if there was some kind of logical and/or mathematical process which unified numerically based mathematics with true-false based symbolic logic.He told me that someone had written a lengthy book which apparently proved that it was totally impossible to do such a thing.But I keep thinking that there must be a way.So my question is whether any progress had been made in this area in the last twenty plus years.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I really have no clear idea what you mean by "unified numerically based mathematics with true-false based symbolic logic". There were, in the late 19th century, attempts to reduce all forms of mathematics to an "axiom based" form of logic but Curt Goedel, in the early twentieth century showed that such a thing was impossible: given any set of axioms, there exist a statement that can neither be proved nor disproved from those axioms.

Indeed, rather than "true-false based symbolic logic", much of the recent work in logic has been the other way- "multi-valued logics" and "fuzzy logic" where statement are NOT just "true or false" but may have varying degrees of "trueness".

given any set of axioms, there exist a statement that can neither be proved nor disproved from those axioms.

Any set of axioms powerful enough to do arithmetic. Proposition logic is an exception, for example.

The numerically-based math reduced to symbolic logic sounds kind of like the construction of the real numbers and all that from set theory. It's not really reduced to symbolic logic, but it's reduced to sets.

As far as recent developments go, this came to mind:

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/2013/10/01/voevodskys-mathematical-revolution/

homeomorphic said:
Any set of axioms powerful enough to do arithmetic. Proposition logic is an exception, for example.
Yes, I should have said that.

1. What is the goal of unifying numerical math and symbolic logic?

The goal of unifying numerical math and symbolic logic is to create a unified framework that combines the strengths of both fields to solve complex mathematical problems. This approach allows for a more holistic understanding and analysis of mathematical concepts and can lead to more efficient and accurate solutions.

2. How does unifying numerical math and symbolic logic benefit scientific research?

Unifying numerical math and symbolic logic can benefit scientific research by providing a more comprehensive and integrated approach to solving complex problems. This can lead to more accurate and efficient results, as well as new insights and discoveries in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. Has progress been made in unifying numerical math and symbolic logic?

Yes, significant progress has been made in unifying numerical math and symbolic logic. Many researchers have developed various approaches and techniques to bridge the gap between the two fields, such as using machine learning algorithms and incorporating symbolic reasoning into numerical methods.

4. What challenges are associated with unifying numerical math and symbolic logic?

One of the main challenges of unifying numerical math and symbolic logic is the complexity of combining two distinct approaches. This requires a deep understanding of both fields and the ability to develop new methods and algorithms that can effectively integrate numerical and symbolic techniques.

5. How can the unification of numerical math and symbolic logic be applied in real-world problems?

The unification of numerical math and symbolic logic can be applied in various real-world problems, such as optimizing complex systems, analyzing big data, and developing advanced algorithms for artificial intelligence. It can also have practical applications in fields such as finance, healthcare, and transportation, where accurate and efficient calculations are crucial.