Can Mental Illness and Antidepressants Affect Success in Higher Level Math?

• Thread starter flotsamjets
  • Start date
In summary, the person is seeking advice on whether they can still pursue a major in pure math while taking antidepressants for their depression and anxiety. They have found a new passion for math through self-studying and are worried that their medication may affect their ability to perform well at a high level in math. They are seeking input from other math majors who may have experience with taking medication for mental health issues. They acknowledge that everyone's experience may be different and are open to considering the individual's unique needs and circumstances.
flotsamjets
Hello, I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, but I wasn't really sure where else to go. I've stopped going to college recently after my first year due to depression/anxiety; I was just going to a community college taking general ed classes. Anyways, I've always enjoyed math, but I never thought about majoring in it. However recently I've begun self-studying using ocw and found a new passion for it. I worked through calculus and linear algebra, and now I'm studying abstract algebra. I've found it incredibly interesting and it's made me consider going back to school and majoring in pure math. Although, I find it very challenging, moving away from rote math to proofs has been really hard; it's stretched my thinking beyond anything I've done before. So to the point, I've been seeing a psychiatrist and I am going to start taking antidepressants, but I've read they can dull your executive function and some higher cognitive skills, I'm really worried I won't be able to do this level of math when I'm drugged up. So I was wondering if there were any math majors on this board who take antidepressants/ suffer from depression and are still able to perform well at high level math and their experiences with it. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I know what you're looking for, but I don't believe anyone here can really give you some good advice. I can personally say for myself that I suffered a great deal of depression during much of my years as an undergraduate and a grad student. I was able to do it (I didn't take medication.) However, my experience means nothing to you, because everyone is very different and your needs will vary drastically from mine.

Nevertheless, I'll simply state that, I've met and known a decent number of people who took medication for one thing or another and do reasonably well in math. I can't say if the medication hampered their ability to do well, but I would assume that if medication or depression makes it hard for you to work on something for a long period of time and studying something, even when struggling, then that's something to consider.

I take anti-depressants and anti-psychotics. I don't experience any negative side-effects wrt doing higher level mathematics. I'm not saying it'll be the same for you though.

Why do you need at this medication to begin with?

dipole said:
Why do you need at this medication to begin with?

He said:

I've stopped going to college recently after my first year due to depression/anxiety.

I assume it still is the same now.

1. Can mental illness affect success in higher level math?

Yes, mental illness can affect success in higher level math. Mental illness can impact an individual's cognitive abilities, making it difficult for them to focus, retain information, and solve complex mathematical problems.

2. How does mental illness affect an individual's ability to succeed in higher level math?

Mental illness can affect an individual's ability to succeed in higher level math by causing symptoms such as difficulty concentrating, memory problems, and impaired decision-making skills. These symptoms can make it challenging for an individual to understand and solve complex mathematical concepts.

3. Can antidepressants improve success in higher level math for individuals with mental illness?

Antidepressants can potentially improve success in higher level math for individuals with mental illness. These medications can help alleviate symptoms of mental illness, such as low mood and difficulty concentrating, which can ultimately improve an individual's ability to focus and learn in a math-related setting.

4. Are there any side effects of using antidepressants for success in higher level math?

There can be side effects of using antidepressants for success in higher level math. Some common side effects may include nausea, headaches, and changes in appetite. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional before starting any medication to understand the potential risks and benefits.

5. Are there other ways to improve success in higher level math for individuals with mental illness?

Yes, there are other ways to improve success in higher level math for individuals with mental illness. These can include seeking therapy to learn coping mechanisms for managing symptoms, using study strategies specifically tailored to the individual's learning style, and practicing self-care to maintain overall mental and emotional well-being.