1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math and physics program

1. Feb 12, 2007 #1
    I would like to share with you my chosen courses for years 2 to 4. I've decided to specialize in both math and physics because I've gotten bored with studying only math:

2nd Year:
    Calculus II
    Linear Algebra II
    Group Theory
    Ring Theory
    Ordinary Differential Equations
    Real Analysis I
    Thermal Physics
    Oscillations and Waves
    Introduction to Quantum Physics

3rd Year:
    Partial Differential Equations
    Complex Analysis I
    Real Analysis II
    Point-Set Topology
    Differential Geometry I
    Classical Mechanics
    Electromagnetic Theory
    Quantum Mechanics I
    Nuclear and Particle Physics

4th Year:
    Complex Analysis II
    Differential Geometry II
    Differential Topology
    Algebraic Topology
    Quantum Mechanics II
    Relativity I
    Relativity II
    Introduction to String Theory
    Introduction to Quantum Field Theory

has anyone taken a math/physics combination like this? many of these math courses i've already studied on my own, but these physics courses sure look like tons of fun!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2007 #2
    I would imagine it would be fairly tough to find a uni that would allow you to take all those courses in that amount of time.

4. Feb 13, 2007 #3
    Ambitious but realistic?

That is indeed an ambitious plan and I have nothing against your willingness and motivation to commit yourself to indulge in such courses but it does raise few questions...

1. Is it a realistic plan? Many of the courses you listed are quite advanced both in mathematics and physics and I wonder if you can handle such pressure. 9 courses in a year to me seems like not a good idea since I myself have experienced it and don't intend to do it again.

2. Quantity or Quality? Sure you can take as many papers as you like but I doubt if you will perform well in all those subjects. Important thing is, take only necessary papers and do well in them.

3. If I were you I would try drop as many unnecessary 'physics' papers as I can and keep math papers. Especially if you are willing to go into theoretical physics you will find your strong math background useful in later years.

4. I would take following courses:

2nd Year:
    Calculus II
    Linear Algebra II
    Group Theory
    Ring Theory
    Ordinary Differential Equations
    Real Analysis I
    Thermal Physics
    Introduction to Quantum Physics

3rd Year:
    Partial Differential Equations
    Complex Analysis I
    Real Analysis II
    Point-Set Topology
    Differential Geometry I
    Classical Mechanics
    Electromagnetic Theory
    Quantum Mechanics I

4th Year:
    Complex Analysis II
    Differential Geometry II
    Differential Topology
    Algebraic Topology
    Quantum Mechanics II
    Relativity I
    Introduction to String Theory
    Introduction to Quantum Field Theory

Out of curiosity which university do you attend?

5. Feb 13, 2007 #4
    what's exactly not good with 9 courses in a year?
    he doesnt take 9 courses in one semester.
    anyway which university offers: Introduction to String Theory
    and Introduction to Quantum Field Theory
    in bsc programme, arent those courses supposed to be taken in 2 or phd degree programmes?

6. Feb 13, 2007 #5
    supervised reading courses.

I think 9 courses per year is not crazy at all. I remember reading a post somewhere (in the how many hours per day do you study poll) where some guy took even more and studied 16 hours per day. besides, my courseload is not a heavy as it looks, because many of the math courses I have self-studied already.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  7. Feb 13, 2007 #6
    You are at a school that's on quarter system right? If so, then you are right, it's not crazy at all. Actually even if you are on semester it might not be crazy because you have studied some of that before making it alot more manageable.

]I could probably not take as many classes as I take if I was doing physics. I actually decided not to do math an physics because I was always took me much longer with physics than with math and I saw that there were just as many fun courses (I had to go for graduate courses though) I could take in the math department.

8. Feb 13, 2007 #7
    According to Tom and from what I have extrapolated from previous posts, he is 14 (as his name would suggest) and is currently self-teaching himself some very complex, high-level mathematics (if I remember correctly, he was working through Mumford's Toplogy) and desires to complete his PhD by 18 (is that correct Tom?).

So, with that in mind, continue with the advice. I figured it would be beneficial to let you know that as far as I know, he is not yet at a university and is a freshman in high school, unless I am completely lost, which might be the case.

9. Feb 13, 2007 #8
    I'm taking by force the full-year calculus I, linear algebra I, physics I, and physics lab, and introduction to special relativity courses

10. Feb 13, 2007 #9
    When you say 'I am taking by force' do you mean you are going to storm the university with books in-hand, overthrow the classrooms and demand instruction or do you mean you are being forced to take these classes at university? The former would provide me with an amazing visualization and a hell of a lot of laughter!

I am confused, are you still in highschool or did you graduate and you are now preparing for university? How does a prodigy such as yourself, go about completing the highschool cirriculum in such a quick period of time? I have always been curious about that.

11. Feb 13, 2007 #10
    The quality of your learning is decreased with the more papers you take. taking nine is a big workload. I find taking 8 a semester decreases my quality of learning by a noticable margin

12. Feb 13, 2007 #11
    those are my first year university courses. it's only first year. many people at age 14 are well ahead of me. A phd student at age 14:

http://www.drexel.edu/univrel/drexelink/story.asp?ID=1594&vol=10&num=2

i've seen her picture--she's not bad looking. i wish i could meet her.

13. Feb 13, 2007 #12
    Well, my friend, enjoy skipping your teen years. I wish you luck, however, in all that you do!

14. Feb 13, 2007 #13
    so no one here has done graduate studies this thorough in both math and physics?

15. Feb 13, 2007 #14
    I have completed a BSc in math and physics , but not so many pure math papers

this is my one hundreth post ooooooo yea feel the love

16. Feb 13, 2007 #15
    Many people are ahead of you? Well there are many people who get their BS in physics by age 40 too.

17. Feb 13, 2007 #16

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's the rush?

18. Feb 14, 2007 #17
    what rush? it's a 4-year programme.

19. Feb 14, 2007 #18

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

But you claim you're 14.

20. Feb 14, 2007 #19
    Discussing only the plan you have listed out, I would make the following cuts from the course load (thus giving you more time to concentrate on the more advanced subjects, and to allow you to take some electives from outside of the math and physics departments (which I would believe the university you attend most certainly has)). And note that I am only a student, and this is being done through my own personal biasis.

So Cut the following:

Calc II, linear algebra II (unless you feel it is absolutly necessary, because you will pick this up pretty fast when you need it), Quantum Field Theory or Superstrings (just pick one for now), Nuclear and Particle physics (unless you intend on focusing your research on it), and pick either Algebraic or Differential Topology, don't take both.

That should trim your program down to something that seems a little more reasonable...at least in my humble opinion.

Oh and move your differential geometery I course to your 2nd year, if you can.

21. Feb 14, 2007 #20
    hmm what about gen eds? unless your school doesn't require them for a student such as yourself.

I am also a bit curious as to how you completed highschool so fast, were you homeschooled? or did your school just bump you up really fast?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?