Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculators Math ap Calculator

1. Dec 25, 2006 #1
    OK, In high school, I'll be taking math up till AP Calculus BC, and in University, I'll be going in sciences, and will need a lot of math.
    I'm planning to buy a TI-89 Titanium. I want one, widely used, and will easily fulfill all my needs. Is this a good choice?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2006 #2

Gold Member

Yea, its a good choice. You can check your answers in calculus, algebra, etc. It has tons mathematical functions becuase of its built in CAS (computer algebra system). In fact, I recommended this particular TI calculator to many of my friends.
  4. Dec 30, 2006 #3
    Thanks for the reply.
  5. Dec 31, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I haven't used the TI-89, so cannot offer a first hand opinion.. Here's an electrical engineer's opinion/review of this calculator. He finds it cumbersome, lacking in documentation, and sites several problem areas.
  6. Jan 1, 2007 #5
    In my high-school (calc BC) and undergraduate calculus courses, use of the TI-89 was often not allowed because of its more advanced functions (eg. symbolic integration/differentiation). For personal use it would probably be great, but I've gotten along well so far with just a TI-84 Plus.
  7. Jan 1, 2007 #6
    Well, was a TI-84 Plus allowed?
  8. Jan 1, 2007 #7
    Yes, the TI-84 Plus I think has about the same capabilities as the standard TI-83 with the exception that it's faster and has more memory.
  9. Jan 2, 2007 #8
    The TI-89 Titanium is allowed on the AP Calculus BC Exam. But if it's not allowed in college then that would be a problem...
    Hard choice to make.
  10. Dec 31, 2008 #9
    Re: Calculator

I would choose TI-84 Plus. These are expensive calculators and if you will only use this calculator on one exam, it's no use. TI-89 is also very complicated. Why wouldn't the TI-89 Titanium be allowed in college?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?