Math AP Calc: Is the TI-89 Titanium a Good Choice?

In summary, the speaker is planning to take advanced math courses in high school and university, and is considering purchasing a TI-89 Titanium calculator. They want a widely used calculator that can fulfill all their needs. The speaker has not used the TI-89 before, but an electrical engineer has reviewed it and found it to be cumbersome and lacking in documentation. It may not be allowed in some college courses due to its advanced functions. They are considering the less expensive and simpler TI-84 Plus as an alternative.
apples
OK, In high school, I'll be taking math up till AP Calculus BC, and in University, I'll be going in sciences, and will need a lot of math.
I'm planning to buy a TI-89 Titanium. I want one, widely used, and will easily fulfill all my needs. Is this a good choice?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Yea, its a good choice. You can check your answers in calculus, algebra, etc. It has tons mathematical functions becuase of its built in CAS (computer algebra system). In fact, I recommended this particular TI calculator to many of my friends.

Ok,
Thanks for the reply.

I haven't used the TI-89, so cannot offer a first hand opinion.. Here's an electrical engineer's opinion/review of this calculator. He finds it cumbersome, lacking in documentation, and sites several problem areas.

In my high-school (calc BC) and undergraduate calculus courses, use of the TI-89 was often not allowed because of its more advanced functions (eg. symbolic integration/differentiation). For personal use it would probably be great, but I've gotten along well so far with just a TI-84 Plus.

Well, was a TI-84 Plus allowed?

Yes, the TI-84 Plus I think has about the same capabilities as the standard TI-83 with the exception that it's faster and has more memory.

The TI-89 Titanium is allowed on the AP Calculus BC Exam. But if it's not allowed in college then that would be a problem...
Hard choice to make.

I would choose TI-84 Plus. These are expensive calculators and if you will only use this calculator on one exam, it's no use. TI-89 is also very complicated. Why wouldn't the TI-89 Titanium be allowed in college?

1. What is the TI-89 Titanium?

The TI-89 Titanium is a graphing calculator manufactured by Texas Instruments. It is designed for advanced mathematical calculations and is commonly used in high school and college math courses, particularly calculus.

2. Is the TI-89 Titanium allowed on the AP Calculus exam?

Yes, the TI-89 Titanium is an approved calculator for the AP Calculus exam. However, it is important to make sure that the calculator is in its original factory settings and does not have any programs or notes stored in it.

3. How does the TI-89 Titanium compare to other graphing calculators?

The TI-89 Titanium has more advanced features and capabilities compared to other graphing calculators. It has a larger screen, more memory, and can perform a wider range of mathematical functions. However, it is also more expensive than other options.

4. What are the benefits of using the TI-89 Titanium for AP Calculus?

The TI-89 Titanium has a built-in Computer Algebra System (CAS) which allows it to solve equations symbolically, making it useful for calculus problems. It also has a large library of pre-programmed functions and can store notes and formulas for quick access during exams.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using the TI-89 Titanium for AP Calculus?

One potential drawback is that the TI-89 Titanium may be more complicated to use compared to other graphing calculators. It also has a steeper learning curve and may require more time to become familiar with all of its features. Additionally, some schools may not allow the use of the TI-89 Titanium in their math courses, so it is important to check with the teacher or institution beforehand.