Is math truly a universal language?

In summary, the question of whether math is a universal language for communicating with extraterrestrial intelligence remains open for debate. While math may provide a common ground for basic concepts, there are limitations in its ability to express more complex ideas and concepts, such as possibility, causality, and tense. There are also philosophical considerations about the imprecise nature of language and its relationship to mathematical logic. Further research and exploration in this area may provide more insight into the potential of math as a universal language.
huginn
question about math as an universal language

Hi
I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, my first time here
I have some interest in thing like SETI and was curious about mathematics, as a universal language to communicate with ET, using prime numbers and such

As math is based on human logic,definitions and assumptions Is this truly a statement I can blindly accept ?
Can alien intelligence have a type of math or logic that is so different we can't understand it?
Part of why i am curious about this is I seen in SCI-fI is that chemistry is the one true universal language because of the periodic table
Are there books or websites that talk about this in layman terms?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
huginn said:
question about math as an universal language

Hi
I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, my first time here
I have some interest in thing like SETI and was curious about mathematics, as a universal language to communicate with ET, using prime numbers and such

As math is based on human logic,definitions and assumptions Is this truly a statement I can blindly accept ?
Can alien intelligence have a type of math or logic that is so different we can't understand it?
Part of why i am curious about this is I seen in SCI-fI is that chemistry is the one true universal language because of the periodic table
Are there books or websites that talk about this in layman terms?
I'm not sure that mathematics is a universal language. Even for such a simple equation as ##1 + 2 = 3##, an alien intelligence would need to know what the symbols 1, 2, 3, +, and = mean.

An image might be more understandable, such as this one:
Pyth.png

Likes sysprog
There is another problem as well. There are things we would like to express in language that are not expressed well in normal math, such as possibility and causality. Because of the "Law of the Excluded Middle" in Math (Not False=True), some math statements work counterintuitively. For example, I can say "If I hit this box, it will stay exactly where it is, with no change of momentum," and then I don't hit the box. Action-Reaction indicates that this statement is false. In mathematical logic, since I didn't hit the box, the statement has no counterexample, so it's not false, and not false=true.
Another semantic distinction missing from mathematics is tense. Modal Logic is an already established extension of standard mathematical logic which adds words for tense and possibility. This brings it closer to conveniently phrasing things we would like to say with sentences, but another barrier is to precisely phrase things like "I," "to hit," and "this box," approximations which are well-understood and usually unchallenged in language for the sake of brevity.
There's lots of Buddhist thinking about the imprecise nature of language, and even about in-between truth values, some of which are paralleled by rigorous mathematics schools.

Last edited:
Likes sysprog

What is "Math as a universal language"?

"Math as a universal language" refers to the idea that mathematics is a language that can be understood and used by people of any culture or background. It is a way of communicating complex ideas and concepts through numbers, symbols, and equations.

Why is math considered a universal language?

Math is considered a universal language because it follows a set of logical rules and principles that are consistent across all cultures and languages. This allows people from different backgrounds to communicate and understand complex mathematical concepts without the need for a shared spoken language.

How is math used as a universal language?

Math is used as a universal language in various fields such as science, engineering, and finance. It provides a common framework for understanding and solving problems, and its symbols and equations can be understood and applied by people from different countries and cultures.

Are there any limitations to math as a universal language?

While math is a powerful and versatile tool for communication and problem-solving, it does have its limitations. It may not be able to capture certain abstract or emotional concepts, and its symbols and notation may vary slightly between different cultures and languages.

How does the concept of "Math as a universal language" impact society?

The concept of "Math as a universal language" has had a significant impact on society, particularly in the fields of science, technology, and finance. It has allowed for global collaboration and advancements in various fields, and has also helped to bridge cultural and language barriers in international communication and trade.