1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math books by women authors

1. May 6, 2013 #1
    I have a substantial mathematics library. Perusing my collection, however, I noticed that none of the book authors were women. I find the lack of prominent female authors in mathematics to be disturbing, both in my libabrary and in the literature in general. So can any of you recommend me worthwhile books written by women?

BTW, by "book", I don't mean standard lower-division textbooks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

4. May 6, 2013 #3

atyy

Science Advisor

5. May 6, 2013 #4
  6. May 6, 2013 #5
    Why does it matter what the gender of the author is...?

7. May 7, 2013 #6
    How about role models? Not necessarily the OP's motivation, but it's a reason.

8. May 7, 2013 #7

Curious3141

Homework Helper

I read an older edition of this book: https://www.amazon.com/Mathematical-Methods-Physical-Sciences-Mary/dp/0471198269 (Mary L. Boas' "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences") a long time ago. I found it a very good introductory text, written in a simple, direct way.

(EDIT: I had no idea she had passed away in 2010. RIP Mary - I owe a lot to you, practically my entire grounding in the Calculus of Variations and Lagrangian/Hamiltonian Mechanics).

9. May 8, 2013 #8

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

10. May 8, 2013 #9

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

The symmetries in mechanics text by Singer is pretty good. We used it as a supplementary text in our symmetries in mechanics course (the material in the course was more advanced mathematically than what is presented in Singer's text but she provides great physical insight considering its an undergrad book).

11. May 12, 2013 #10

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted