Math Brain Teaser: Solve for 100 Using Digits 1-9 | Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter Mk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain
In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem by replacing G with digits 1-9 to make a true statement. Suggestions are given such as using trial and error and looking into divisibility of digits. The idea of not needing a methodical solution is also mentioned. The final solution is shown to be 6/(2*1) + 8*7*5/4 + 9*3 = 100.
Mk
How would I hypothetically, go about solving this problem:

Replace each G with one of the digits from 1 through 9 to make a true statement, each digit may only be used once.

G/GxG+GxGxG/G+GxG=100

Thanks guys,
Mk. :cool: :biggrin:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
How about hypothetical trial and error??
:biggrin: :rofl: :biggrin:

I know, but that is so dirty!

Well, you might want to look into what digits are divisible by others, that should reduce the number of possibilities a bit...

Well, if its any help, Richard Feynman once said that there need not be a methodical solution to every problem. If you can tell just by looking at 3x+1=10 that the answer x=3 works, then it is a valid solution. (he said this in reference to a friend who had trouble with his algebra, but knew the answers anyways). Anyways, that just means that any way of getting to the answer is a good one. So don't feel dirty!

hypermonkey2 said:
Well, if its any help, Richard Feynman once said that there need not be a methodical solution to every problem. If you can tell just by looking at 3x+1=10 that the answer x=3 works, then it is a valid solution. (he said this in reference to a friend who had trouble with his algebra, but knew the answers anyways). Anyways, that just means that any way of getting to the answer is a good one. So don't feel dirty!

Sounds like a Physics professor I had who would solve differential equations by writing the answers down and then verify them. (He'd tinker a bit if he was wrong. But it was fascinating to watch.)

-Dan

Probably was a fan of Feynman (its kinda hard not to be these days). In any case, I would help find the solution, except it reminds me too much of Su Doku. Best of luck!

The Answer

The answer to the question is given below in white

6/(2*1) + 8*7*5/4 + 9*3 =100

Q: How did I do it?
A: Hypothetical trial and error (at least that is what my computer did)

:biggrin: :rofl: :biggrin:

1. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for math brain teasers?

To improve your problem-solving skills for math brain teasers, it is important to practice regularly and challenge yourself with different types of brain teasers. You can also try breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and using logical reasoning to find a solution.

2. Is there a specific strategy for solving math brain teasers?

There is no one specific strategy for solving math brain teasers, as each problem is unique. However, some general tips include reading the problem carefully, identifying key information, and using logical reasoning to find a solution. It can also be helpful to try different approaches and to think outside the box.

3. How can I stay calm and focused when solving difficult math brain teasers?

Staying calm and focused when solving difficult math brain teasers can be challenging, but it is important for finding the correct solution. One strategy is to take deep breaths and break the problem into smaller parts. You can also try using different approaches and taking breaks if you feel overwhelmed.

4. Are there any resources or tools that can help with solving math brain teasers?

There are many resources and tools available to help with solving math brain teasers. Some examples include online forums and communities where people share tips and solutions, books specifically focused on math brain teasers, and websites or apps that offer practice problems and solutions.

5. Can math brain teasers improve overall math skills?

Yes, solving math brain teasers can improve overall math skills. Brain teasers often require critical thinking, logical reasoning, and problem-solving skills, which are all important for success in math. Additionally, practicing with brain teasers can help improve mental math skills and increase familiarity with different math concepts.