Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math brain teaser help

1. Mar 8, 2006 #1

How would I hypothetically, go about solving this problem:

Replace each G with one of the digits from 1 through 9 to make a true statement, each digit may only be used once.

Thanks guys,
    Mk. :cool: :biggrin:
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2006 #2
    How about hypothetical trial and error??
    :biggrin: :rofl: :biggrin:
  4. Mar 8, 2006 #3

I know, but that is so dirty!
  5. Mar 8, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, you might want to look into what digits are divisible by others, that should reduce the number of possibilities a bit...
  6. Mar 8, 2006 #5
    Well, if its any help, Richard Feynman once said that there need not be a methodical solution to every problem. If you can tell just by looking at 3x+1=10 that the answer x=3 works, then it is a valid solution. (he said this in reference to a friend who had trouble with his algebra, but knew the answers anyways). Anyways, that just means that any way of getting to the answer is a good one. So dont feel dirty!
  7. Mar 8, 2006 #6
    Sounds like a Physics professor I had who would solve differential equations by writing the answers down and then verify them. (He'd tinker a bit if he was wrong. But it was fascinating to watch.)

8. Mar 8, 2006 #7
    Probably was a fan of Feynman (its kinda hard not to be these days). In any case, I would help find the solution, except it reminds me too much of Su Doku. Best of luck!
  9. Mar 10, 2006 #8
    The Answer

The answer to the question is given below in white

6/(2*1) + 8*7*5/4 + 9*3 =100

Q: How did I do it?
    A: Hypothetical trial and error (at least that is what my computer did)

:biggrin: :rofl: :biggrin:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?