What is the minimum temperature for an ideal gas following a circular path?

• Thread starter kalbuskj31
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thermo
In summary, the problem involves 2 moles of an ideal gas being taken around a circular path in a reversible manner. The initial pressure and volume are given, and the only missing variable is the minimum temperature. Using the equation PV = nRT, the initial temperature is calculated to be 304.66K. The center of the circle is found to be (10,10) with a radius of 5. By breaking the circle into 4 sections, the maximum and minimum values of pressure and volume are found to be (13.536, 13.536) and (6.464, 6.464) respectively. Using the equation again, the maximum temperature is found to be 1116K and the minimum
kalbuskj31

Homework Statement

2 moles of an ideal gas, P1 = 10 atm V1 = 5L, are taken reversibly in a clockwise direction around a circular path given by (V-10)^2 + (P-10)^2 = 25. All I have left to solve for is the minimum temperature.

Homework Equations

PV = nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

I found T1 = PV/nR = (10atm * 5L) / (2 moles * .08206) = 304.66K

From the equation I found out that the center of the circle is (V, P) = (10,10) with a Radius of 5.

From there I broke the circle up into 4 different sections starting at (5,10) and going clockwise. I found the max by saying that P = V and between (10, 15) and (15,10),

(V-10)^2 = (P-10)^2 = 12.5
P-10 = 3.536 Vmax = Pmax = 13.536 and Vmin = Pmin = 6.464

PV = nRT

Tmax = (13.536^2)/(2 moles * .08206) = 1116K (correct answer)
Tmin = (6.464^2)/(2moles * .08206) = 255K (Answer:Tmin = 225K)

Did I miscalculate where PV is a minimum between the section of (10,5) and (5,10) of the circle?

Physics news on Phys.org
kalbuskj31 said:
Did I miscalculate where PV is a minimum between the section of (10,5) and (5,10) of the circle?

No you're fine. Mathematically you are minimizing [itex]PV=(5\sin{t} +10)(5\cos{t}+10)[/itex]. Graphing is easiest. For any real data that's what you'd have to do anyway.

1. What is the purpose of a "Math Check" on a thermo problem?

A "Math Check" is a method used to verify the accuracy of calculations performed in a thermo problem. It involves double-checking the equations and numbers used in the problem to ensure that the final answer is correct.

2. Why is it important to perform a "Math Check" on a thermo problem?

A "Math Check" is important because it helps to prevent errors and ensure the accuracy of the final answer. It also allows for the identification and correction of any mistakes made during the calculations.

3. How do you perform a "Math Check" on a thermo problem?

To perform a "Math Check," you should first review all of the equations used in the problem and make sure they are correct. Then, double-check all of the numerical values used and make sure they are accurate. Finally, perform the calculations again to verify the final answer.

4. What should you do if the results of your "Math Check" do not match your original answer?

If the results of your "Math Check" do not match your original answer, you should carefully review all of the equations and numerical values used in the problem. Look for any mistakes or errors that may have been made during the calculations. If necessary, seek help from a colleague or instructor to identify and correct any errors.

5. Is performing a "Math Check" necessary for every thermo problem?

While it is not always necessary to perform a "Math Check" for every thermo problem, it is a good practice to adopt. It helps to ensure the accuracy of your calculations and prevents mistakes. Additionally, it is especially important for more complex problems or those with a high level of precision.