Math Club Discussion: Activities, Speakers, and REUs

In summary, a vice president of a math club at USF is looking for a less formal way for members to exchange ideas. They proposed a project where members would find and discuss math-related news articles and compare them to the original research. The club recently had a talk on fractals by a professor. The club is currently having trouble finding activities and speakers, but is encouraging members to apply for REUs.
dkotschessaa
Is anybody hear an officer or regular member of your university or high school math club?

I'm the vice president of the math club at USF, and I thought it might be nice to have a kind of "conversation" thread where we might exchange ideas. I've posted several separate threads before, but I thought if we could get something less formal going it might be nice.

I just proposed a great project to my group which I think will be very successful. I am having them find math-related news articles in popular science type journals or newspapers, come up and talk about the story as reported, and *then* go find the original research article and discuss what it says, what type of math was involved, etc. And see if there is a difference.

Today we had a great talk on Fractals by one of our professors.

Where is your club? What's your function there? What are you doing right now? How are things going?

-Dave K

Physics news on Phys.org
It's been awhile, but I thought I'd try and bump this.

We're having some trouble finding activities/speakers at the moment. The officers are very busy. On the up side, I am trying to get as many people as possible in my club to apply for REUs right now.

-Dave K

1. What is the purpose of the Math Club Discussion Thread?

The Math Club Discussion Thread is a platform for math enthusiasts and club members to discuss and share ideas, problems, and resources related to mathematics.

2. Who can participate in the Math Club Discussion Thread?

Anyone who is interested in mathematics and is a member of the Math Club can participate in the discussion thread. Non-members may also be allowed to join, depending on the club's policies.

3. How do I join the Math Club Discussion Thread?

To join the Math Club Discussion Thread, you must first become a member of the Math Club. Once you are a member, you can request to join the discussion thread through the club's designated platform or forum.

4. Can I ask for help with specific math problems on the Math Club Discussion Thread?

Yes, the Math Club Discussion Thread is a great place to get help with specific math problems. You can post your question and other members can provide their insights and solutions.

5. Are there any rules or guidelines for participating in the Math Club Discussion Thread?

Yes, there may be rules or guidelines set by the Math Club for participating in the discussion thread. These may include being respectful to others, avoiding spamming or self-promotion, and following the club's code of conduct.