Preparing for Math Competitions: Recommended Books and Tips

• Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Competition
In summary, the speaker missed the deadline to sign up for math competitions at their school and is looking for books to help prepare for future competitions. They have found some options on Amazon and are seeking recommendations for other books.
Miike012
To start off with, my school has math competitions every semester, which unfortunately i missed the deadline to sign up. Anyways today I was looking at past comp tests questions and on average I was only able to answer 4-6 questions out of 20-23 questions which is saddening to me because I consider my self good in math, I am in calc 2 and average 98% on tests. Anyways my questions is, are there any books that can prepare me for math competition like questions? I found some books on amazon which i posted below, are these books good for beginners? And are there any other books that anyone can recommend if not from the list of books that I listed below?

1. https://www.amazon.com/dp/088385824X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

2. https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387982191/?tag=pfamazon01-20

3. https://www.amazon.com/dp/0817641556/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Physics news on Phys.org
Not even a simple yes or no to the books? lol

1. What is a math competition question?

A math competition question is a problem or puzzle that requires the use of mathematical concepts, formulas, and strategies to solve. These questions are often used in math competitions to test a person's mathematical skills and critical thinking abilities.

2. What are the different types of math competition questions?

There are several different types of math competition questions, including arithmetic problems, algebraic equations, geometry questions, and logic puzzles. These questions can range from simple calculations to complex multi-step problems.

3. How do I prepare for a math competition?

To prepare for a math competition, it is important to practice solving a variety of math problems, including those that are similar to the types of questions that will be asked in the competition. It is also helpful to review key mathematical concepts and formulas, and to develop strategies for approaching different types of problems.

4. What are the benefits of participating in math competitions?

Participating in math competitions can help improve critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and mathematical knowledge. It can also boost confidence and provide opportunities to meet and compete with other math enthusiasts.

5. Are there any tips for solving math competition questions more efficiently?

Some tips for solving math competition questions more efficiently include reading the question carefully, identifying the key information and variables, breaking down complex problems into smaller parts, and double-checking your work before submitting your answer. It can also be helpful to practice time management and prioritize which questions to solve first.