What Career Paths Are Available for a Math/Computer Science Major?

In summary, the conversation discusses the career options for someone majoring in Applied Discrete Mathematics with a minor in Computer Science. The person has taken several courses in programming, math, and computer science and is wondering if they can work in these fields without a master's degree. The conversation also touches on the difficulty of finding a job that utilizes advanced math skills and suggests reading books and doing projects to improve job prospects. The conversation ends with a job offer in the SF Bay Area for someone with a strong background in math and programming.
\Theta
Hello everybody,
I'm currently majoring in Applied Discrete Mathematics with a minor in Computer Science and I was wondering what sort of career options I have.

I've already taken two semesters of Object Oriented Java programming, C++, Python, Combinatorics/Graph Theory, Modern Algebra, Intermediate Analysis, Applied Probability, Numerical Linear Algebra, Numerical ODEs, Vector Calculus.

Courses that I intend to take in the next couple years include Computer Organization I and II, Data Structures and Algorithms, Data and Algorithm Analysis, Abstract Algebra, Cryptography, Statistics for Engineers and Scientists(Linear Regression and Multivariate Analysis), Number Theory, Machine Learning, Bioinformatics, Operating Systems, Comparative Languages, Data Base Management Systems (SQL), Artificial Intelligence, and Digital Image Processing.

While all these classes seem like things that are needed in the job market, it also seems like in order to work in many of them you need at least a master's degree. Do I have options to work in these fields without going to grad school? Also, are there other classes I could take that would make me more marketable?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You sound on paper like you would be an extremely strong candidate for developer roles at a place like Google or Apple that doesn't put too much stock in master's degrees. Are you a good programmer? That's really what will get you in the door. Your resume sounds strong and you'll most likely get through the first hurdle. How you do on the in-person interviews will make you or brake you.

The takeaway is I think you're in strong shape. What geographical region are you looking for?

Read some books about how to get a job and programming interviews. Also, do some projects that you can show to people. You could always just apply to jobs AND grad school.

analogdesign said:
What geographical region are you looking for?
I'm not that picky about it, I'd just like to be in a larger metropolitan area(I doubt that will be a limiting factor).

homeomorphic said:
Read some books about how to get a job and programming interviews. Also, do some projects that you can show to people. You could always just apply to jobs AND grad school.
I'll definitely apply to graduate school, I'm just wondering what I would do if I decided not to go for whatever reason. Also, I'm trying to look for a job that's more math oriented than just a software developer/programmer. I have friends at a couple of places that I could get internships and possibly jobs later on, I'm just trying to get a job that doesn't make all my math classes seem like a waste.

There are a lot of different software developer jobs. It's a pretty big profession. Of course, the vast majority of it probably isn't going to be quite what you have in mind.

It's pretty challenging to get a job that uses serious math. I have a PhD in math, but I couldn't find anything, so I just do straight software development for now (very basic math and logic), although I am trying to move more towards big data or quantitative finance or something like that.

There are some places out there, a lot of them military, where you can do image processing and use some math. I got some leads in that direction, but had no luck with that in the end. The job market is very difficult for new grads. I thought it was pretty bleak, as far as not wasting math knowledge, but maybe even with my PhD, you could be in a better situation than I was with a few more practical classes, like machine learning.

\Theta said:
I'll definitely apply to graduate school, I'm just wondering what I would do if I decided not to go for whatever reason. Also, I'm trying to look for a job that's more math oriented than just a software developer/programmer. I have friends at a couple of places that I could get internships and possibly jobs later on, I'm just trying to get a job that doesn't make all my math classes seem like a waste.

If you're willing to come out to the SF Bay Area you will get a ton of interest, and if you can do well on your interviews you would be an extremely strong candidate. My employer does some very interesting things you might be into, send me a private message if you want me to give you a link.

What is a typical day like for someone in a math/computer science career?

A typical day for someone in this career may involve working with various programming languages, analyzing data, and solving complex mathematical problems. They may also spend time in meetings with colleagues, researching new technologies, and troubleshooting any technical issues that arise.

What skills are needed to succeed in a math/computer science career?

Some key skills needed for success in this career include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, proficiency in programming languages, attention to detail, and the ability to work well in a team. Good communication skills are also important, as you may need to explain complex concepts to non-technical colleagues or clients.

What types of jobs are available in the math/computer science field?

There are a wide variety of jobs available in this field, including software engineer, data analyst, systems administrator, cybersecurity analyst, and more. Many industries, such as finance, healthcare, and technology, have a high demand for professionals with math and computer science skills.

What kind of education is required for a math/computer science career?

A bachelor's degree in math, computer science, or a related field is typically required for entry-level positions in this field. However, many employers also value practical experience and may prefer candidates with a graduate degree or relevant certifications.

What is the job outlook for math/computer science careers?

The job outlook for this field is strong, with a projected growth rate of 21% for computer and information technology occupations from 2019 to 2029, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. As technology continues to advance and more industries rely on data and technology, the demand for math and computer science professionals is expected to continue to grow.