How to Solve a Faded Safe Code: Math Counting Problem Explained"

In summary, there are 24 possible combinations for the 4 faded number buttons on the safe's code. If the safe owner wants to change the code to only contain 1 of the 4 faded numbers, there are 5376 possible codes. This is found by selecting 1 number from the faded numbers and 3 from the remaining 6 non-faded numbers, and then multiplying by 4! to account for the different arrangements.
danago
Gold Member
To open a safe, 4 number buttons must be pressed, in the correct order. Over time, the 4 numbers buttons of the code fade. A thief notices the faded buttons, so knows that the code consists of those 4 numbers.

How many possible codes are there?

4 numbers can be arranged in 4! different ways, so there are 24 different possible combinations.

The safe owner decides that he wants to change the code. How many possible codes are possible if each code can contain only 1 of the 4 faded numbers?

[tex]
^4 C_1 \times ^8 C_3 \times 4!=5376
[/tex]

Since there are two groups, faded and non faded. One is selected from the faded numbers, and 3 from the remaining 8 non faded. i then multiplied by 4! since there are 4! ways of arranging the 4 numbers.

The answer guide says this is wrong though. Is anybody able to explain where i went wrong in my reasoning?

Thanks,
Dan.

Physics news on Phys.org
At first glance I would say that it has to do with the fact that you think 8 are non-faded. If there is a button for each digit then there will 10 buttons, 4 of which have faded. Thus there will be 6 non-faded buttons.

The buttons arent 0-9, theyre 1-12. There was a diagram with the question that showed this.

No repeated numbers allowed, right? And "can contain only 1 of the 4" means "contains exactly one of the 4"? If those are both correct then I can't see anything wrong with your solution.

Yep that's right. No repeats allowed, and EXACTLY 1 of the 4.

Well thanks for clearing that up. Glad i did it correctly then.

1. How do I determine the total number of possible combinations for the safe code?

The total number of possible combinations for a safe code can be calculated using the formula n^r, where n is the number of digits in the code and r is the length of the code. For example, if the code has 4 digits and can use numbers 0-9, the total number of combinations would be 10^4, or 10,000.

2. How do I know if I am on the right track when trying to solve the faded safe code?

You can check if you are on the right track by testing your possible combinations on the safe. Start with simple combinations, such as 1234, and see if they work. If they don't, try adjusting one number at a time until you find a combination that works. This will help you narrow down the possible combinations and get closer to the correct code.

3. Is it better to start with the first or last number in the safe code when solving the problem?

It is generally recommended to start with the first number of the safe code and work your way through each number one by one. This will help you eliminate possible combinations faster and narrow down the correct code.

4. Can I use any math shortcuts or tricks to solve the faded safe code faster?

Yes, there are some math shortcuts and tricks that can help you solve the faded safe code faster. One example is using the divisibility rule for numbers like 3 or 9 to quickly eliminate certain combinations. Another trick is to look for patterns or repetitions in the numbers that can help you narrow down the code.

5. What should I do if I am still unable to solve the faded safe code?

If you have exhausted all possible combinations and are still unable to solve the faded safe code, it may be helpful to seek assistance from a professional locksmith or someone with expertise in safe cracking. They may have specialized tools and techniques that can help open the safe without damaging it.